High temp Paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forya

Feb 18, 2010
Bucks County Pa
I was going to pick up some High temp paint for the stove's spring cleaning. Is Stove Bright good, or Rustoleom High temp?

stove bright is good, the other popular brand is Thurmalox, if you are trying to match the original color of your accentra its Stove Bright- satin black

I used Valspar from Tractor supply last fall. It held up great!

I have had great luck with all Valspar products, tractor paint,house paint and automotive paints all top notch.

I have used the Stove bright on my Whitfields.

The only issue was that upon spraying the old finish I had lifting and wrinkling issues.

I ended up stripping off the old finish and then spraying with the stove bright.

Not sure what Whitfield used at the factory, but the stove bright caused it to lift.

The areas of the stove that dont get too hot work great with the stove bright.

I have left the cast iron fronts bare as then they just stay looking good and I dont have to repaint them.

I have found that its not the new materials that present the issues, but the old finish.

I repainted and old earth stove pellet unit and never had the lifting/wrinkling issue.

Snowy

I was going to try to paint the iron plates inside the firebox, and the compass plate behind the burnpot.

I dont think that is going to work very well, plus those plates get ash covered over time and the paint will probably fade quickly ( may be the reason the manufacturer doesnt paint them to begin with ) The fire is at least 1000 degrees, so before you buy something that wont work, find a paint that holds up to at least 1200 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.