High Temp Sealant on Simpson Duravent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottyDaug

Dec 26, 2010
Maine
I will be finishing the installation of USSC 6041 PT today. I picked up a tube of high temp sealant. I know it has to be used on the appliance adapter. Simpson's instructions say that it is not needed at every joint, but see manufactures recommendations. My pipe will be going straight out the wall then up, typical Simpson kit install. Should I seal all the joints to be safe? If so where should I apply it. My thought is around the male pipe end. I have read other posts where pipe joints have leaked smoke after installation.

Thanks

I have installed may stoves with simpson dv. We always silicone the joints inside the house. Dont silicone outside joints. Apply silicone in the female end of the pipe in the space between the inner and outer wall.

use it on the stove starter, but thats about it... If you ever plan on taking the pipe apart later to clean it, then don't silicone it all together: use some foil tape on any joints that leak!

summit said:
use it on the stove starter, but thats about it... If you ever plan on taking the pipe apart later to clean it, then don't silicone it all together: use some foil tape on any joints that leak!

Not trying to hijack, but I see foil tape recommended often. The tape I have says it's good for 325 F, is that sufficient or is there a higher temp offering??? Thanks.

Foil tape is fine for Type L Pellet vents, they generally don't heat up above 150F. My L vent, even when my Pellet burner is running at max, doesn't warm up beyond 130F. I think my black car seats get hotter than that if my car sits in the Sun in the middle of July!

If you have pellet vent pro (from a dealer), it has a RTV o-ring on each joint. If you wont need to take the vent apart to clean it you could add some RTV to each joint to prevent leaks. Follow the instructions in the manual for the pipe.

http://duravent.com/docs/instruct/L550_Apr10.pdf

"PelletVent Pro does not require additional
sealant to be used at pipe joints, but in certain
circumstances sealant may be used if desired.
Seal the inner liner overlap at the male end of
pipe for best results"

If you have regular duravent pellet pipe (from the hardware store, no o-ring) then you definatly need sealant at every joint.

See this post for more info on a recent fix i did: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/67222/P22/#769207

I used the high temp stuff found with the caulking at Menards. It's rated for 1300 + degrees. Boy was that a mistake. It hardens up like cement and won't seal. Can't pull it apart now. Will more then likey have to cut the pipe apart in the spring. Rutland silicone is the stuff that I should have used. They keep it with the Grills and woodburning stove parts at Menards. Wish I had seen it first.

Orange RTV from your local Auto Parts store works just fine. You could also use the black stuff to make working with black pipe a bit easier. It's also cheaper to get it at the auto-parts store than the stove store.

Status
Not open for further replies.