Hmmmmmm... the Versa-Grate ain't workin' ......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

krooser

Minister of Fire
Jan 2, 2008
Waupaca, WI
www.rumblefest.net
So I've been at a loss trying to get my old St Croix Pepin back to working as good as it has the last 6 years.

It's been building up pellets in the burn pot for the last month or so... did a full cleaning twice... and the leaf blower trick. Still hasn't been right.

So tonite I'm back doing another cleaning and I take a peek at the Versa-Grate to see if it's working.... nope. The cam that actuates the back and forth motion of the plate under the burn pot is not moving... but the motor IS turning.... look a little further and I see that there is a set screw that secures a coupler that connects the motor to the shaft that turns the cam... and it's backed off about 90% allowing the motor to work but not turn the shaft.

Soooo tomorrow, after I get back from my trip install Max Gearhead's new stove, I will shut down the stove for a minute or two and tighten up that set screw...

As for the Greenfield corn stove (running on pellets) out in the shop... I'm at a loss. That thing is trying my patience. Again the burn pot is overflowing... It's a fresh install and I haven't run 30 bags thru it yet... cleaned it three times... chokes up with soot and ash in just a few days. The ash pan gasket is poor but seems to be OK since I used some silicone to patch it up. The door gasket is in about the same shape... just used some red RTV on it tonite. Maybe that will help... thankfully the shop is cozy at about 65F tonite.

I may just have to trade that in next fall for a different stove if i can't get this issue resolved...

FIXED!!!!

krooser, take some pictures of that Greenfield's guts and burn pot and post them perhaps we can see a few things (even with our very old eyes).

I have had the same problem on my Prescott...easy fix but a thread locking compound is what they should have used at the factory. The circuit board screws also will loosen up in time

Hello Krooser

Sometimes there are more mods to make pellets burn better in those corn/pellet stoves.

Some corn stoves have to much air flow over the burn pot and not enough under the burn pot.

Please Take some pics so we can see.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.