holly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cedrusdeodara

Dec 3, 2008
New Jersey
We cleared some woods last year and I have a nice pile of 3-8" caliper trunks/limbs to cut. Alot of it is American Holly, and I have not burned that before. I've bucked about a 1/2 cord so far of Holly. Any comments from the team about this wood??? Good, bad, hot, cold, stinky?? I won't burn it until it is nice and dried/checked/light. Thanks.

You can burn it green. I did last year. The firewood rhyme says "Holly logs burn like wax. You should burn them green." So I did, and they did, and I was amazed...I think seasoned they would probably burn alot like pallet scraps, so watch the air inlet settings if you go that route (though I had none left to test that theory on).

I had some a few years ago that was seasoned that burned nicely; nice flame, decent heat. I didn't expect much from it, but it wasn't bad. Good to burn when it's not real cold out; I wouldn't rely on it when you need a lot of heat, but otherwise I would take it again if I ran across it.

Status
Not open for further replies.