Holy Smoke!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burleymike

Feeling the Heat
Sep 17, 2010
SE Idaho
So I was sitting in the dining room eating dinner and I look out the door and see a layer of fog like smoke. Today has been one of those windy days, the kind of wind that will take your hat off and send it 1000' down the road. My first thought was what idiot is burning brush today. Then my second thought was oh crap my neighbor was burning the ditch yesterday maybe the wind got it going again. I am just west of him so it would be coming toward my shop.

I went running outside only to smell burning pine with a hint of lighter fluid. I realized my neighbor was only starting her stove for the night. Usually when she starts it there is a lot of smoke but not this mosquito fogging cloud. I have tried to explain to her that starting her stove with a few small splits and some newspaper or a supercedar is easier and cheaper than 4 large logs and half a bottle of lighter fluid.

Give her a batch of supercedars and nice kindling. Get her hooked and hopefully she'll get in the habit.

BeGreen said:
Give her a batch of supercedars and nice kindling. Get her hooked and hopefully she'll get in the habit.

BeGreen, your mother must be one of the best. Just like mine. You can tell though, sometimes I just didnt listen ;-)

If possible, it pays to have good relations with your neighbors. We're all in this together.

I agree. Make a little kindling and give her a Super Cedar to show how easy this can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.