Home cheapo

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gottahavvitt

Oct 2, 2009
western ma
I have a neighbor that bought a Englander stove from Home Cheapo and the motor went in less than a year. The person that he got the new motor from said that Home Cheapo has the stoves made to their specs so the motors are cheaper to save $$$$$$$$$. I have heard similar stories about the lawn tractors they sell. One guy said when he took his mower to the repair guy they refused to work on it when he told them he got it at Cheapo.
I believe the story about the mower because the buyer is a close friend and I remember that day.
Any truth to the Story about the stove???

gottahavvitt said:
I have a neighbor that bought a Englander stove from Home Cheapo and the motor went in less than a year. The person that he got the new motor from said that Home Cheapo has the stoves made to their specs so the motors are cheaper to save $$$$$$$$$. I have heard similar stories about the lawn tractors they sell. One guy said when he took his mower to the repair guy they refused to work on it when he told them he got it at Cheapo.
I believe the story about the mower because the buyer is a close friend and I remember that day.

I`d be very surprised if they were any different.

gottahavvitt said:
I hope not, i bought mine at a depot at a price i couldn't turn down, but i do know that does happen because a friend of mine manages a walmart and their tv's are made to the specs they want so they can blow em out the door.

Well, Mike from englander is going to have to answer this question as he would be the one that knows. I can say this as I know for a fact from a dewalt rep. dewalt does make a cheaper style of tools that are for sale in HD compared to dewalts that can be purchased from a hardware store or tool supplier. For instance the drills have plastic bearings compared to metal ones etc... I also can say that I believe englander has great customer service, Did he purchase the new motor directly from them? Seems as it would still be under warranty????

I don't know a lot about pellet stoves but I do know a little something about lawn mowers and garden tractors and I can tell you that it's a myth that the mowers they sell at big box stores are any different than the ones they sell at a dealer

take john deere for example....... the LA series are the cheaper resident grade mowers and that is what they usually sell at big box stores because that is what most people buy.... you can go to a john deere dealer and get the exact same LA series for about the same price and it's not going to be any different than the one that you got at a place like lowes. However, like most products they offer higher end models... I don't think the average person that is just looking to cut their grass is going go to a big box store and spend $7,000 on an John deere X700 that doesn't look much different than the LA series.

I've worked on and restored John deeres and other brands for years and if somebody brings me a Garden tractor I'm not going to be able to tell where they bought it from unless they tell me.

Englander stoves are basically good stoves but already at the lower priced end and mostly geared to be sold in big box stores and major hardware stores . To make this stove with anything less than the quality level already engineered into it would probably be self defeating , dangerous, and maybe even disasterous not to mention the additional difficulties associated with manufacturing so many different product lines with different specs.
These are not Makita type tools geared to different users , handiman vs professionals.
Pellets stoves are used by folks from all walks of life and are subject to the same use and abuse alike.
It serves no purpose to build for a different user.
I therefor submit that it`s plain simple hogwash. (But I reserve the right to be wrong.)

I also doubt this is the case. You might see what we call Seconds. Something that didn't quit meet quality. Nicks in the paint, scratches and things like that. I am sure that the mechanicals are all the same.

just my 2
jay

I would doubt that this principle applies to Englander stoves, as they were (as far as I understand) "conceived" for this market. they've never been anything other than "what they are".

But this "counterfeit" name-brand thing...it goes deeper than what ynot describes with the DeWalt. The spec's put forth by these big-boxes can affect other name-brand stuff, no matter where it is sold.

The story about the power tools being "different" at HD vs. a "real" tool dealer is an old one. I wanted to buy a new Ariens snow-blower a few years ago. It just so happened that HD started selling Ariens equipment, so I was wary (because of the power tool stories) of buying from them. There was a power equipment dealer right up the street, and their prices were hardly any different from HD, so I bought from them, thinking that I would be protected from any cheapening-down of this expensive product.

Well, guess what? After having some recurring problems with transmission parts failing prematurely, there was a recall issued. The dealer explained to me that BECAUSE of cheaping down of the product to satisfy HD's specs, ALL models, sold ANYWHERE, were the same; they didn't just cheapen down the machines sold to HD--they ruined ALL of them.

If you see a formerly well-reputed brand name item at one of these stores, think twice about buying that brand anywhere. The name doesn't mean anything anymore.
So...if you ever see "Harman" stoves being sold at a big-box...they're not going good stoves anymore.

In my benevolent dictatorship, this practice would be illegal, as deceptive advertising. Any retailer who affects the specs or production of any product must label it with their own house brand name. (my rules; I make 'em up :cheese: )

It looks like this is proving to be not true but I will wait until Mike chimes in. I am hoping it is not true because there just aren't many places for me to get one of these stoves in my area. Most places only offer the 3 most popular models and won't order a different one without charging for the shipping.

I highly doubt that englander does this. I love my englander stove and have had no problems with it, and it ran 24/7 all of last year and 1/2 of the year before.....The tools on the other hand I can see how and why it is done, most homeowners are not going to drop $275 on a nice cordless drill...but then again they don't use it all day long everyday....and by the way I stand behind the Rigid tools at HD, they have performed great on the job site at a very reasonable price... (these are made specifically for HD, after years of making quality plumbing products HD approached them for a tool line, thats why I added it, to make a point that if a company cares about their reputation they will not sell out the quality to make a buck)

Ghettontheball said:
gottahavvitt said:
which motor?

I believe it waqs the auger motor

1. The units are UL and EPA tested as a unit. If they change anything in them they have to pay hefty fees to get the different stove retested.

2. What would be the stores that sold the ones with higher quality parts in them anyway? HD and Lowe's are ESW's largest sales outlets by long shot.

3. If I was selling your friend a motor that was under warranty and that he could have gotten shipped to him free by just dialing an 800 number I would lie to him too. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
1. The units are UL and EPA tested as a unit. If they change anything in them they have to pay hefty fees to get the different stove retested.

2. What would be the stores that sold the ones with higher quality parts in them anyway? HD and Lowe's are ESW's largest sales outlets by long shot.

3. If I was selling your friend a motor that was under warranty and that he could have gotten shipped to him free by just dialing an 800 number I would lie to him too. :lol:

This is good. I am just trying to cover all bases before I make my purchase.

I have a stove I purchased from a big box like the one mentioned earlier. It has worked very well. I have also heard stories of big box stores resellling refurbished used etc for many different products. I never paid much attention to it before. If they did provide the big box with a cheaper component the manufacture would have to be aware and install it for the retailer. A survery question for this forum might be how many certain brand stoves were purchased from a big box store that had motor/auger or general issue etc. Like I said my stove has worked great and the tech support when I call has been very good.

Wood Pellet User said:
....... I have also heard stories of big box stores resellling refurbished used etc for many different products. .......

It's possible they are selling refurbished items, but ANY retailer who sells a refurb of ANYTHING, (not just stoves), HAS to mark the item as such. If not, and they get caught, big fines (and I'm not talking about sawdust in the bottom of a bag of pellets... :lol: ).

I don't think any of the stoves the "big box" stores are selling are anything but new.

gottahavvitt said:

I work there, and with some of the products HD sells, yes, it is true. Just gotta be careful...There are some big ticket items that I would not purchase from HD. My 2 cents ends here... ;-)

The discussion has gone into other items. This might help.

I have had my Englander 25 since Fall 2006 and I bought it because of a recommendation from the installer I hired. It has been a very good stove and since I have been a member of this forum their have been virtually no negative comments on Englander stoves or the company. The tech support is very good and the stove is designed where the average home owner has the ability to service it themselves. The price is very good. The company has been manufacturing and selling these stoves for many years. Many more than some of the new stove manufacturers out there. I have noticed some stove manufactures that have completely gone out of business or discontinued the product line. It is a good competitive stove overall and an even better stove for the cost. Englander also sells a higher line of stoves with multi fuel and higher BTU. I would have no hesitation in buying an Englander product in the future.

I new nothing about Pellet stoves when I purchased mine and was lucky to purchase this brand. As a new buyer I did have to learn that Pellet stoves in general do require maintenance including cleaning the stove, vent pipe etc periodically. This can be slightly different for the various manufacturers but they all require periodic cleaning.

never ever buy at big box stores............. they set the price ......... so you get cheaper product .......... the manufacture uses cheaper parts to get the price down.........Ill keep it simple go to a real lumber yard look at the plywood count the plys now go to big box and count the plys ............more plys more steps in manufacturing = better panel...... less plys less steps = you get the picture ..............power tools have cheaper bearings & on & on & on & on & on

bobva said:
never ever buy at big box stores............. they set the price ......... so you get cheaper product .......... the manufacture uses cheaper parts to get the price down.........Ill keep it simple go to a real lumber yard look at the plywood count the plys now go to big box and count the plys ............more plys more steps in manufacturing = better panel...... less plys less steps = you get the picture ..............power tools have cheaper bearings & on & on & on & on & on

there also 1000's of products at big box stores that are the EXACT same as what you would get at a mom and pop hardware store but a lot cheaper

I like supporting local places as much as the next person but a lot of times I'll go to a place like lowes.

God bless America I guess.

bobva said:

You have a lot to learn about making blanket statements !

Gio said:
bobva said:

You have a lot to learn about making blanket statements !

like what?

our stoves can be purchased under 3 product lines , englander, summers heat , and timberridge, the only difference between these units by product line is the trim package. we use the same components , steel and castings for all of our products no matter what line they fall under or where they are sold.

i realise that some product manufacturers may have a "lower" line that are sold in some stores and not others , lawn mowers and such power tools etc. this is simply not the case with our products. customers can be sure that no matter where they buy a stove manufactured by England's stove works no matter which line name it is sold under they will be buying the same quality product.

Status
Not open for further replies.