Home Depot Pellets $179/ton

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ylomnstr

Feeling the Heat
May 28, 2008
Staatsburg, NY
I was in the Kingston NY Home Depot tonight and they just dropped their left over pellets for $179/ton. I'm seriously considering buying a ton or 2 to save for next year. Thoughts? I've got an attached garage where I can keep them. Do you think they'd be OK over the summer?

If they are still in their shrink wrap, and you put them in a dry garage, they should be fine.

Just make sure you check the pallets when they get delivered for any rips/tears/damage......if you see any, refuse them and ask for another pallet.

BTW, what brands of pellets do they have up there? I'm going to check my HD tomorrow and see if they have the same deal.....that is a VERY good price for pellets around here.

WHOA - awesome deal!! This early in season - I remember HD and Lowe's wouldn't budge below $300/ton in April of last year. I guess after they were "burned" with last years inventory, they learned somewhat a lesson when it comes to price gouging. At the end of last season, when stoves could be found at 1/2 - 1/3 the new price (newbies found that pellet burning wasn't for them), there were LOTS of opportunity whether it was buying stoves, pellet inventory at people's homes, etc. Excellent find and yes - I have stored leftover pellets in my garage from season to season. The big thing as others have mentioned is to make sure they are stored in a DRY location. Good luck.

I'm projecting that I'll have an entire (unwrapped) ton left over after this year's heating season, and I'm not interested in taking up any more garage space than this ton will occupy.

BUT

What this means is the supply & demand situation may have equalized. If big-box stores are willing to "fire sale" their end of the season inventory, than that means there is little demand for the product. (after all there are really only about 60 serious heating days remaining)

Looking at the bigger picture that likely means the the producers are sitting on relatively large inventories of pellets too. This might aid the return of "early bird specials" to clear their yards and warehouses of the pellets their making now, and that nobody appears to need.

Personally, I'd like to see the return of sub-$200/ton early bird special. At least I'll only have to buy 4 ton for next winter.

I too live in Staatsburg and I also have an attached garage. My stove was "down" all last yr and I had brought two tons of pellets for last year. This year the stove is working great and the Pellets are all fine. Seems like if the pellets are all in good shape in Home Depot and depending on teh type of pellets I too will save some for next year.

The Newburgh HD also has the $179.00/ton price, but they wouldn't say for how long ......sales manager said "get 'em as soon as you can...we only have 20 tons left".

As far as I know, they have PresTo Logs and Pennington Natures Heat. I burned the PresTo Logs before, and my stove burned them just fine.

$179 is VERY tempting.... Hmmmmmmmmmmm

Called the Ithaca HD today there still at $229.00

Have to check on there stove sale anyone remember when they went on clearance last year?

I wonder if they'll deliver? Might be worth the fee. Just wondering how they'd deliver it. Would they have a forklift they could push them into my garage with?

Well just called Home Depot and they will deliver for about $65. He couldn't say though if the delivery guy would be able to push them into the garage. I guess that would be up to the driver. I know the guy from pelletsales.com was able to get them in the garage.

macman said:
The Newburgh HD also has the $179.00/ton price, but they wouldn't say for how long ......sales manager said "get 'em as soon as you can...we only have 20 tons left".

As far as I know, they have PresTo Logs and Pennington Natures Heat. I burned the PresTo Logs before, and my stove burned them just fine.

$179 is VERY tempting.... Hmmmmmmmmmmm

You know that 3rd garage bay you got? I thinx it's time to open it up and stuff a few "tonnes" in there!

179 a ton, I would buy a couple for that price. They're good for Fall and Spring burining when you don't necessarily need a hot pellet. I burn cheap pellets until it drops into the low 30s at night here, then I turn to my Barefoots to pump up the heat...

I noticed pellets dropped to 229/ton for about a week, then rocketed back up to 275/ton when we had that whole week of cold weather! It hasn't been that cold this year, and with heating oil struggling to stay above 2.50/gallon I think they're stuck.

Good.

SmokeyTheBear said:
macman said:
btuser said:
....then rocketed back up to 275/ton when we had that whole week of cold weather!

Can you say price gouging?

No, no, no ---- Loss mitigation

If that had been my pellet supplier, I would have told him "mitigate THIS!!" and then used sign language to tell him what I thought of him. >:-(

Ylomnstr, Sixty five dollars seems a little high. I'd rent their truck for $19.95 and load it to the gills. I've "off loaded" two tons by hand. Not the end of the world. $179 sounds good til you put the delivery fee on. Then again if you get three tons for the same $65.00 now you only talking $20 dollars a ton and its still under $200. Any idea of the type of pellets?

TJ7960 said:
Ylomnstr, Sixty five dollars seems a little high. I'd rent their truck for $19.95 and load it to the gills. I've "off loaded" two tons by hand. Not the end of the world. $179 sounds good til you put the delivery fee on. Then again if you get three tons for the same $65.00 now you only talking $20 dollars a ton and its still under $200. Any idea of the type of pellets?

The $65 is for as much stuff as they can fit onto their big trucks in one trip.

You could have pellets, bricks, lumber, cement, etc, etc, and as long as it fits, it goes for the one price.

Yeah he said $65 no matter how many tons. I'd probably get 3 tons which should last me next year. Not sure what kind they are, but he said all hard wood and low ash. I'll find out.

ylomnstr said:
.....Not sure what kind they are, but he said all hard wood and low ash. I'll find out.

YES! Find out for sure, and my advice is after you decide which ones you want, ask them when they will be delivering, and be at the store while their doing it. I have read many times on this forum about the Big Box stores just loading the easiest one for them to grab.

Thanks, I may have to Kingston tomorrow and pick up a ton myself. Of course the bride will kill me.If i were to get two tons she'd throw me in the stove with the pellets. I've just started my second ton from last years supply so I have probably 1600 pounds left. That said I got 2 tons up in Kinderhook for 285 per ton last year so saving $100 now certainly is worth it.

I rememeber back in 2002 or so going into my local HD and seeing a sign in sept for 3 tons delivered for $134 a ton......FREE delivery..............The good ole days!!

Great price. They dropped down to 249.00 here in RI. I would ask if they can bring along one of the store pallet jacks with them. It shouldn't take up too much room as they can transport it inserted in one of the pallets on the truck.

I am gonna go to the Poughkeepsie one tomorrow and check things out. They had penningtons, freedom fuel, presto logs, and some stove chow a couple of weeks ago. Maybe they are trying to make room for some of those nice winter warmth pellets? Maybe winter warmth for $179 ?

Schoondog

I called Kingston and he couldn't give me a definate of how much of what kind they have left. He said he's seen presto, pike and bayou. He said they can try to give me the same if i order more than one ton, but he's not sure. I really don't care because my St. Croix seems to burn everything well, although I haven't been happy with the heat I get from the cleanfires that I got this year. Last years New Englands seems to burn hotter and cleaner. More clinkers, but less soot on the glass.

i am located in central ohio
i will burn 4 tons this year
i bought 2 tons of hardwood heat from tsc @ 199/ton
burned hot low ash some regular clinkers
then i tried awf from the local mill 199/ton
burned hot lots of ash, way to much
and last nite picked up somersets from tsc for 199/ton
havent burned any yet, want to finish the awf's
glad i dont live in the ne, you're pellets are expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.