Home depot pellets

• Thread starter Weird tolkienish figure
  • Start date
  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Weird tolkienish figure

Are they rubbish or what?

Seem much ashier than the older stuff that came with the house, but it could be my imagination.

I've never had any luck with them.

What brand are they?? Some Big Box Stores carry Good pellets at an even Better price.

Home Depot around here carried AWF (decent pellet IMHO) for a short while then switched to Wood Fibers Inc (not so good).

I'd guess its hit and miss depending on where you are.

Some HD brands are really nice. I got some killer Blazers at HD a few years back. Most recently I pickup some Fireside Ultra's that did well. Plus the price is pretty reasonable. I wouldn't rule them out, But I would be careful at what I did purchase. I'd definetly try some JIC.

pelletash said:
Home Depot around here carried AWF (decent pellet IMHO) for a short while then switched to Wood Fibers Inc (not so good).

I'd guess its hit and miss depending on where you are.

Thats exactly what I mean.

Every HD around the North Eastern US carries a different brand. Way to many varibles. Was just posted in a new thread that Menards here in Ohio has Somersets for next to Nothing (cheapest price around for a very good pellet).

I purchased Firesides there this year. They were perfectly reasonable pellets. Last year I bought Stove Chow there that were excellent. That said, I've seen some brands there that I wouldn't touch.

I was at HD a few hours ago. They had Firesides for $219. If I had needed pellets I would have bought some.

we got 2 ton of stove chow. Okay...I liked themlast year, cause they were cheaper, but this year I want to finish them up to go back to my old stash of power pellets.

I just paid $2.82/ bag at HD for 10 bags of Firesides and 10 bags of Green Supremes. 20 bags for $56.40 w/ discount. That comes out to $141/ton. They were all dry and in great shape. I always load them myself.
Beat that.

Like everybody else said, it depends on the store, or more likely, the area where you live. This fall I got 2 tons of Stove Chow at HD for $159 a ton. Each of the 2 stores near me only had 1 ton left in stock when I got them, otherwise I would have gotten more, especially at that price.

Weird tolienish figure said:
Are they rubbish or what?

Seem much ashier than the older stuff that came with the house, but it could be my imagination.

It would help if you gave us the name of the brand you're asking about.....HD and Lowes sell many different brands in different locations.

fyrfyter4 said:
Like everybody else said, it depends on the store, or more likely, the area where you live. This fall I got 2 tons of Stove Chow at HD for $159 a ton. Each of the 2 stores near me only had 1 ton left in stock when I got them, otherwise I would have gotten more, especially at that price.

What do you think of the stove chow? Maybe I should be checking to see if HD will stock them again in the future.

Stove Chow is a good pellet for late fall/early winter/spring "shoulder" season burning. I'd get something with more BTU output for the cold weather we're having right now.

Picked up a couple of tons of Fireside Ultras at HD this year, which became my shoulder pellets. Last year in February, I scored two tons of Somersets at $209/ton. Just switched over to my last ton of Barefoots and things have been toasty. Don't blow off the box store pellets, you just need to read the reviews here, and try a few bags yourself. I heated our small house for $750 last year and expect the end of season number to be about $630. Know your product and do the math!

I wish my local HD had decent pellets (all they have are Penningtons) and knew how to store them properly!

My local Lowes has Green teams @ $5.70 a bag, no bargain there.

MacP said:
What do you think of the stove chow? Maybe I should be checking to see if HD will stock them again in the future.

I have no complaints with them. I burned about 1.5 tons last winter (we moved into the house in late January), and just over a ton so far this year. I recently (last week) added a t-stat to my 25-PDVC, and it has been great. When I get up in the morning I light the stove and set the t-stat to 68. Keeps it nice all day until I shut it down at bedtime. Actually, I usually shut it down while my wife is making supper, as the oven raises the indoor temp a few degrees. That lets me clean it before bed.

Yesterday I lit the stove around 5:30 am, shut it down around 8:00 pm (had a venison roast in the crock pot, so the oven wasn't on to help heat the house). The house was 68 all day long, and I burned right around a bag of Stove Chow...maybe slightly less.

Status
Not open for further replies.