Home made wood stove for Bob House

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH

Attachments

• HMWS.jpg
    HMWS.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 5,245
I bet it glows real purdy.

If ya live in a shanty, go for it.

Ha! I used a similar stove in the shop of a rental house years ago. It was made from an old air compressor tank. It put out the heat, that's for sure. Totally f'n scary, in hindsight...

My folks heated there home for close to 30 years on a stove my Dad built. They just pulled it out this summer since my Dad didn't want to burn wood anymore and switch to a self feeding coal stove.

It was built out of an old 275gal heating oil tank for the firebox.

BrotherBart said:
If ya live in a shanty, go for it.

BLahahahahah!!! Good one!

BrowningBAR said:
I bet it glows real purdy.

:lol:

For $50 and a little looking, there are plenty of small old pot-bellies out there that would be safer and better heaters. Much smaller footprint in a confined space as well, better clearances, and a vertical top-loader to boot.

I just spent last evening in a drafty little shanty, drinking with a few chainsaw carving buddies. It was a cold, rainy, and blustery evening, but the little pot-belly they had in there roasted us out with just the occasional carving scrap or piece of pallet wood. I've been there in the middle of January as well, and anybody who carves there knows that no matter how cold it gets, you can always get toasty warm in there after your hands stop working from the cold.

The owner said she paid $65 for it. It has a broken flange on the top casting, but it doesn't affect the way the stove works in the slightest. I'm going back there again today and I'll try to get a pic before I leave. I've been wanting a place to stick one of these things in since the first time I visited there. May have to build my own shanty.

NATE379 said:
My folks heated there home for close to 30 years on a stove my Dad built. They just pulled it out this summer since my Dad didn't want to burn wood anymore and switch to a self feeding coal stove.

Holy Friggin Cow, man!......did you guys shrivel up in the winter from the heat that put off?....lol....I built a maple syrup evaporator out of one of those tanks, and man does that thing put out the heat!!!....it also EATS THE FRIGGIN WOOD, too!!

I've lived in many areas of the US, but have never heard of a "bob house". Will someone enlighten me, please?

the big problem with any homemade stove is how well it is built.......any Tom Dick or Harry could put a stove together, problem is most do not know what a good weld is......look that stove over REALLY REALLY good for any crappy welds, cracks, or any other shoddy worksmanship.....and also, make sure you line the bottom half with firebricks.....I've seen homemade barrel stoves melt through b/c of no firebrick on the bottom half.....bottom line is, use your good judgement, like your life depended on it b/c it very well MAY.......

DanCorcoran said:
I've lived in many areas of the US, but have never heard of a "bob house". Will someone enlighten me, please?

Apparently some guy with Robert created it.....lol.....seriously, I think it is a hunting or fishing shack.....we call 'em "camps" here in central PA....

DanCorcoran said:

Hello

Yes, I Bob House is an Ice Fishing shelter on thick ice with no floor for some nice winter fishing. Do it in NH and Maine every winter!

Don2222 said:
DanCorcoran said:

Hello

Yes, I Bob House is an Ice Fishing shelter on thick ice with no floor for some nice winter fishing. Do it in NH and Maine every winter!

So, a wood stove on top of ice? Makes me leery....

Looks perfect for a Bob House...because that means I'm not ever going to see it. :coolsmile:

Ice floor. Wood stove. Hmmm... Buy several stoves.

BrotherBart said:
Ice floor. Wood stove. Hmmm... Buy several stoves.

LOL. BB. You're killing me this week!

It has always amazed me that people who build things like this, can do anything unconventionally, and regularly "throw caution to the wind", and seem to get away with it their entire life. My dad was that way. He built a real piece of crap for our hunting cabin. It didn't even have a bottom. He just put down a big thick flat rock on the wood floor, cemented the steel stove to the rock (more like a fire place made out of 36 " steel pipe) and then single wall piped it through a homemade thimble into a single brick thick, square, outside chimney, with half the mortar joints rotten and falling out......and it was up against old dried out wood siding. It has been heating that place for over 25 years. I have no idea how. It has had more than one chimney fire. If I did that, the place would burn down the first night. :-S As some of you know, I don't have the kind of luck my dad had. :smirk:
Edit: One more thing that urks me. In a college English class, I had to right a paper on the aphorism, "dilingence is the mother of good luck". I did and actually believed what I wrote was true and valid. As life for me has progressed, it hasn't always seemed to work that way!

It was great on wood. Kept the place at ~70* all winter on about 3 cords of wood.

Just cause the firebox was big didn't mean it had to be filled. 3-4 logs at a time was all it needed.

Scotty Overkill said:
NATE379 said:

Holy Friggin Cow, man!......did you guys shrivel up in the winter from the heat that put off?....lol....I built a maple syrup evaporator out of one of those tanks, and man does that thing put out the heat!!!....it also EATS THE FRIGGIN WOOD, too!!

Just make sure there's no propane left in it! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.