Home Owners Insurance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

referee38

Mar 27, 2011
Eastern Pa
How much did your home owners insurance go up when you installed a pellet stove. I just called mine and its 12.00 a year.

Mine went up a little, but they were also unaware of the burgler / fire alarm so actually went down 12 a month. allstate btw

Mine Stayed the same
I took out a wood stove and replaced It with the pellet stove
I sent them a copy of the inspection report done by the fire department (Not necessary in Plaistow N.H. but a curtisy and a C.Y.A.)
And all were happy

New Hampshire Jim said:
Mine Stayed the same
I took out a wood stove and replaced It with the pellet stove
I sent them a copy of the inspection report done by the fire department (Not necessary in Plaistow N.H. but a curtisy and a C.Y.A.)
And all were happy

I am in New Hampshire as well, I know it's not required in the "Live Free or Die" state but my towns Fire Chief will stop by the check my install. Is it a good idea to let your insurer know. When I put the wood burner in the basement, I am guessing I will get a diff response?

When I installed a pellet stove in my mom's house the insurance agent came to the house to check everything out. What they were looking for, they never said, but the insurance premium did not go up at all. From a salesman standpoint, whenever someone is considering a stove for their home, I always advise to check with the homeowners insurance prior to a deposit and install to make sure everything is the way the insurance wants it. God forbid something were to happen regarding the new install and the homeowners insurance wouldn't cover it.

None. Already had prefab fireplace. If anything it should have gone down since now no open flame.

Since my insurance policies are up for renewal, I started to shop around to see if I could save some cash.
At one point, it looked like I was going to switch to Travellers. While getting their home quote on the phone,
I was asked if we had an alternate fuel heating device. When I said that we had a Pellet Insert, they wanted more details.
Was it professionally installed? (Yes); How much did we use it? (we are using it to supplement our propane furnace)
Once she realized that it was used often, she declined our policy request. She said that they have been getting a high
percentage of claims due to alternate heating devices and that they have a new policy in which they do not accept
new customers who have such devices!

unklechuckles19 said:
When I installed a pellet stove in my mom's house the insurance agent came to the house to check everything out. What they were looking for, they never said, but the insurance premium did not go up at all. From a salesman standpoint, whenever someone is considering a stove for their home, I always advise to check with the homeowners insurance prior to a deposit and install to make sure everything is the way the insurance wants it. God forbid something were to happen regarding the new install and the homeowners insurance wouldn't cover it.

Well said. Its better to be safe than sorry. Ours didnt go up with the Pellet stove, but they still have to stop out and look at the Woodstove to check clearences. She said it wasnt going to be an issue since I have been burning in our Pre-fab fireplace (7 yrs-since buying house) and have had the pellet stove. I have had the same insurance woman for 13 yrs. Started with just car ins back then. Now she covers our "everything" .

Oh. Its State Farm.

Just talk to my Insurance company (shield of shelter) asked if i installed myself (yes).

He said i did not need to have it inspected if i followed the manufactures recommendations for the install of the unit. This guy is a customer of mine so he trusts me. Cost an extra $12 on what im already paying.

Status
Not open for further replies.