Homemade Splitter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

maflake

Nov 30, 2010
Indiana
I've been using my friends homemade splitter. He built it with a friend several years ago.....what a beast.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 545
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 530
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 548
The more i look at splitters, the more discouraged I get about the choices on the market.
I really am leaning towards making my own as well.

If I understand right they looked at one in a store and welded this thing up. They built race cars so they had the experience and materials to do it. Took a 6.5 hp Briggs and hooked it up to a pump etc. This thing is big…really does the job. Custom pin striping really does the trick LOL.

I have many used parts of a caterpillar 966 G loader, like a hydraulic pump, hoses, 3 hydraulic cylinders etc.

Anyone know what is the right speed to spin that pump at, and how much HP would be needed to properly drive 1 cylinder on a splitter from it.

Would turning it about 2500 rpm be okay, and a guess if just 40 HP is enough.

Mcbride said:

My splitter originally used a pump out of a bulldozer with a 4 cyl Wisconsin out of a Bobcat. The machine works a whole lot better now with a 5hp electric and a 16 gpm 2 stage pump.

flyfish, how often does the round make it to the flare on the wedge before it splits? I have a fat triangular wedge and have wondered if adding 2 inches or so of slicer at the lead edge would improve performance.

Mcbride said:
I have many used parts of a caterpillar 966 G loader, like a hydraulic pump, hoses, 3 hydraulic cylinders etc.

Anyone know what is the right speed to spin that pump at, and how much HP would be needed to properly drive 1 cylinder on a splitter from it.

McBride-you can use the 'calculators' on www.surpluscenter.com and they will direct you to what size your components need to be. I like to 'compare' the 22, 30, and 37 ton models of splitters on www.northerntool.com -that way i can see what components they used to get the tonnage.

Here should be a link https://www.surpluscenter.com/techhelp.asp?catname=hydraulic If it doesn't work, go to surpluscenter.com and click on 'tech help' on the left hand side.

Thanks Stihl_woodbandit.

SolarAndWood said:
flyfish, how often does the round make it to the flare on the wedge before it splits? I have a fat triangular wedge and have wondered if adding 2 inches or so of slicer at the lead edge would improve performance.

The flare really helps....seems that I get about half way into the wood and it's split.

Status
Not open for further replies.