Homeowner burned trying to put out fire from furnace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deerhntr

Mar 25, 2009
Kutztown.PA
This article was in our Sunday paper this morning. There are definite dangers associated with wood burning for heat if one is not cautious. We all need to be aware. I'm glad mine is remotely located. Just the Shed will burn down! :-(

Article link

deerhntr said:
This article was in our Sunday paper this morning. There are definite dangers associated with wood burning for heat if one is not cautious. We all need to be aware. I'm glad mine is remotely located. Just the Shed will burn down! :-(

I'm gonna vote for bad install. If it was just a lack of cleaning I would think that they'd list it as a chimney fire. Improper clearances perhaps? If so, there's no excuse for it. Anybody who doesn't follow the installation instructions for their particular model (or doesn't try to exceed them) is, quite literally, playing with fire.

A number one reason that everyone should have a fire extinguisher close by to there wood burning appliance . I don't care how much you are careful or follow tolerances what ever its better to be prepared .
I have had to use mine not once but twice , once on a chimney fire and once when a log rolled out of the fireplace about ten feet into the liveing room . How do you plan on that !

Status
Not open for further replies.