Honda 5hp crankshaft replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
Is this a big job or relatively simple? A friend of mine had a little incident using it as a brush hog. The local Honda dealer told her it wasn't worth fixing but they were more than happy to take it off her hands to save her the expense of disposing of it. She said it still turns over fine, runs and mows, just very rough. Mower appears to be in very nice shape otherwise and looks like it would be 5 or 6 bills to replace it.

Attachments

• Honda mower.jpg
    Honda mower.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 411
I think that is likely what I am going to do. I can get an original Honda exact replacement for under $200 delivered. It is just a little hard to stomach putting that much money into a push mower even if it is a Honda, will never rust, etc.

Might find a Honda motor at Northern Tool.
labor is a killer on small motors.

If it's a later plastic deck model I might buy a new motor - an exact replacement you might have some spare parts to use from the old one (carbs can change in short order sometimes though)
If it was one of the first plastic deck models I might toss it. Lots of transmission problems on the self-proppelled. I have one. Repaired once (expensive) under warrantee. Went again out of warrantee.

I have a honda harmony mower that i will sell ya. Motor good the self propell unit went out on it. Interested? I am near the Utica area? Email or PM me. reasonable offer n its yours.

A friend of did the same thing with his Honda, hit a metal rod or some such, then gave the running but badly vibrating mower to me. I drained the oil and gas, turned it on its side, removed the blade, and somehow bent the crankshaft straight. I think I used a piece of pipe but can't really remember. It been running smoothly since for the last 5 years.

Honda parts are fairly expensive as mowers go. It may not be worth rebuilding if the above method doesn't work for you.

Good luck with it.

Is it possible that is just the keyway thats damaged? or a bent blade? take the blade off and see if it still runs rough. could be the blade adapter too. mine got a little wallered out after mowing 2 acres 5 times a year with a 21 inch deck.

I would not recommend straightening if the crank is bent. It could be a real disaster if the crank broke. I'm just mentioning this & realize you just talked about replacement, Randy

Singed Eyebrows said:
I would not recommend straightening if the crank is bent. It could be a real disaster if the crank broke. I'm just mentioning this & realize you just talked about replacement, Randy

Crankshaft straightening, even on larger and very expensive engines, is commonly done. Just do an internet search. It takes very little "bend" to make a mower vibrate like crazy. We're not talking about a lot of bending.

Semipro said:
Singed Eyebrows said:

Crankshaft straightening, even on larger and very expensive engines, is commonly done. Just do an internet search. It takes very little "bend" to make a mower vibrate like crazy. We're not talking about a lot of bending.
Unless you have Magnafluxed the crank after you straightened it I would advise against it. Neither you nor I can guess if it's safe afterwards, Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.