HONDA GENERATOR MOTOR ON A WOOD SPLITER?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimdeq

Apr 23, 2010
northeastern wisconsin
I bought a honda EM5000 generator at a auction. I had no idea if it would even start. I got it home and it started on the first pull. I then plugged in a saw and had no power to anything. After troubleshooting it went to repair shop and I was told the voltage regulator was out of it and it would cost $300.00 to fix. I started to think, I need a motor to replace the ancient Kohler 10HP on the wood splitter. Would a 11HP honda off of a generator be able to replace the old side shaft Kohler?

The machinist at a shop I use to work at would put a tapper in the lovejoy. I'm not sure it would be worth it cost wise??? We had a strange hydraulic motor-electric motor combination that required this modification...

RNLA said:
The machinist at a shop I use to work at would put a tapper in the lovejoy. I'm not sure it would be worth it cost wise??? We had a strange hydraulic motor-electric motor combination that required this modification...

Yep, anybody worth half his weight in salt at running a lathe can internal bore the taper in pretty short order. Ya just gotta know the taper to reproduce it.

For a bought and paid for Honda on your splitter, the lovejoy mod is well worth it.

So if I am understanding this,when I take apart the generator I will be able to determine if it has a tapered shaft or not. Then I will either have to have the shaft machined down to a certain size or machine the inside of a love joy to meet the taper of the shaft?

You want to machine the lovejoy coupling, not the shaft.

This is what I did, cut the taper off of the shaft then took a die grinder and cut a keyway into the round shaft finished off with hand file. This was on 8 HP Briggs has been working fine for years. Gen shafts seem to be longer for some reason and this worked out fine can be done inabout 1-1/2 hours if your handy.

I guess I would ask why did you buy the generator in the first place. Specifically, did you need a generator or did you have intetnion from the start to use the engine for a logsplitter? It would seem that the former is the case from your first post.

If it were me, I'd cough up the 300 clams to fix the generator and have a nice generator for a total of a $600 investment. Then I would by an 11HP harbor freight Honda clone for the log splitter for an another $159. Link is below.

http://www.harborfreight.com/11-hp-ohv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-66492.html

Status
Not open for further replies.