Honey Locust Today -Now With Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Bigfoot

Feeling the Heat
May 21, 2011
Northwest Oregon
It was time to cut down the standing dead honey locust tree in my sister's yard. My brother in law and a friend helped. I forgot my camera today. My friend took a few pics on his cell phone he will email me. I'll post pics when he emails me.

This is a first for me to cut honey locust. I'm impressed though. It's a cool looking wood. Kind of like a salmon red color in the middle, and a lighter color toward the bark. And it splits so much easier than oak, and this wood was MUCHO lighter than the green oak I have worked on the past two years. :p I hope it burns good. It kind of reminds me of ash, the way it looks and splits.

It ended up to be about 18" diameter at the cutting height. I got about 7/8 truck load, so a smidge less than 1/2 cord.

Pictures added, see below.

Reactions: ScotO
That's some good BTU wood to add to the stacks.
1/2 a cord id a good load, good ting it was standing dead, I bet it's heavy when green.

I bet it's heavy when green.

I find it's not too bad since it has a lower moisture content when cut green similar to white ash.

That wood (along with black locust) will not lose much of its weight when it seasons because it is such a dense wood. My all time favorite firewood! Great score, OB! Save that stuff for those really cold nights.

Pictures of the work and my ugly mug. Normally, I am behind the lens, and you don't see me, but a friend took the pics at random times. He didn't get pics of the third pile of cut wood. Based upon other Honey Locust post on hearth.com, this I assume is Honey Locust. This has a cool looking salmon red color center, and a whiter outer wood, and reddish color bark. And it splits very easy.

Do you guys agree with my honey locust assumption?

Wood 1.jpg

Attachments

• Wood 2.jpg
    Wood 2.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 434
  • Wood 3.jpg
    Wood 3.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 526
  • Wood 4.jpg
    Wood 4.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 452
Yes, it sure looks and sounds like honey locust to me.

I just scored 6 pickup truck loads. I spotted it by the side of the road on the way to work , stopped and asked if it was avalable , got the alls clear phone call the next day. Some of it was 3ft +, boy did I get a workout. I have come to the realization that there is no such thing as free wood it all has a price. I sure it will keep me good and warm some day.
MC
Honey_locust_truck.JPGlocust_pile.JPGlocast_large.JPG

I just scored 6 pickup truck loads. I spotted it by the side of the road on the way to work , stopped and asked if it was avalable , got the alls clear phone call the next day. Some of it was 3ft +, boy did I get a workout. I have come to the realization that there is no such thing as free wood it all has a price. I sure it will keep me good and warm some day.
MC
View attachment 67349View attachment 67350View attachment 67351

You need to noodle those monsters!

Reactions: ScotO

MC
View attachment 67349View attachment 67350View attachment 67351

Nice score Lakeside, sure is hard work but that wood is worth it.

MC

Yes, that looks exactly like the one I cut, except yours is BIGGER! Nice score!

Sure looks like that tree needed to come down. Good for you and it will keep you warm for quite some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.