Hope To Scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brianbeech

Feeling the Heat
Jan 11, 2011
Southern IN
After a pretty bad storm here, I found some new trees down. You can tell that some have been there for at least two years, the new...well, you can see it too! Keep your fingers crossed for me - hope I can find the owner of the property!

Attachments

• IMG_1436_small.jpg
    IMG_1436_small.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 364
  • IMG_1435_small.jpg
    IMG_1435_small.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 371
More!

Attachments

• IMG_1431_small.jpg
    IMG_1431_small.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 374
  • IMG_1432_small.jpg
    IMG_1432_small.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 356
  • IMG_1433_small.jpg
    IMG_1433_small.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 379
brianbeech, what types of trees are they? It would be a nice score.

Zap

zapny said:
brianbeech, what types of trees are they? It would be a nice score.

Zap

I don't know. I pass them everyday and I am horrible at figuring out what types of trees. I was hoping someone here would enlighten me. :)

big trees. Looks like a Southern Indiana Road.

That would be great if you can get that! I can see some oak and something else there.

Ive seen stuff like that around here to. How do you go about looking up the property owner?

I would normally knock on the door of the nearest house. You can also go to the local court house, where ever they file property transfer records, these are public info.

Shawn

shawneyboy said:
I would normally knock on the door of the nearest house. You can also go to the local court house, where ever they file property transfer records, these are public info.

Shawn

I was wondering about this myself... found two farm lots, that had a wooded area maybe 200-300 feet in between, that all was pulled out and the trees have been laying there for a few weeks.
odd thing was that I saw them all pulled out, not cut down. Could see the roots/stumps and all.
I imagine they're making it on big field versus two.... But there's on house nearby anywhere.. and I never see anyone out there working or anything :
Maybe as the weather gets warmer they'll be back to work ;d

Pulled out?? Maybe wind blown down the roots and all come up especially when their has been a lot of wet weather.

Remmy122 said:
Ive seen stuff like that around here to. How do you go about looking up the property owner?

Plat books are great for this. Also, most counties now have the GIS system and you can look for that on the Internet. Look first at your county and then go to your township. Some have the land owners listed and some don't. Or you can visit the courthouse and ask about the parcel in question and they can look it up for you.

Or you can just do it the way we usually do. Knock on the nearest door and ask if they know who owns the land. Rarely would you have to knock on more than 2 doors to find out and most people will be friendly and you may even get more leads on wood. Good luck.

The internet is your friend.
A while ago a large part of a maple or oak (can't remember which) fell across the road near my house.
DPW cut it up some, and left it on the sidewalk.

I looked up the address on Google maps, looked up the address on the town website, got the owners name, looked up the name and found his phone number. Called him and asked if I could have the wood,
he said sure take it, and I got 2 truck loads, 2 blocks from my house. :cheese:

cptoneleg said:
Pulled out?? Maybe wind blown down the roots and all come up especially when their has been a lot of wet weather.

Was a few pieces of heavy equipment there, excavator, a dozer and some others sitting there, in the same spot every time i drive by.
I figured it's what they do so that they don't have to grind stumps if they want to make it farm land.
But I'm just a silly guy that lives in the country staring at the farms, I'm no farmer :]
I'll take some pics next time I drive by, I went past there today on the way to wally world actually and they were all still there.
Supposed to be rainy for quite some time, so I doubt they'll be going anywhere.

Maybe Im just paranoid, but I would be freaked out if some guy called me and said "hey I saw this tree, and then I went to the courthouse and tax office and looked up your property, and the I did a google search on you and got your number....can I cut that tree up?"

again, maybe this is just me, and I doubt any of you present it like that, but none the less I think Ill stick to knocking on doors...

Remmy122 said:
Maybe Im just paranoid, but I would be freaked out if some guy called me and said "hey I saw this tree, and then I went to the courthouse and tax office and looked up your property, and the I did a google search on you and got your number....can I cut that tree up?"

again, maybe this is just me, and I doubt any of you present it like that, but none the less I think Ill stick to knocking on doors...

I could see that. I'll probably just knock on the nearest door and ask around. I don't want them to think I'm crazy...even though I took pictures of their downed trees. :S I bet that's a strange sight.

"what's that weirdo taking pictures of trees for?"

Good luck hope you get the wood no matter how it got down.

Status
Not open for further replies.