hopper lid on 3yr old accentra insert wont stay open

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 20, 2008
eastern,PA
lid keeps popping off hinges and won't stay open on its own.
are there any adjustments i can make or should the
latch mechanism be replaced? would this be covered under the "gold"
warranty? thanks

There is a revised lid latch kit. I have installed about 20 of these. We have been replacing them under warranty. Call your dealer.

found a crack/gap/separation during cleaning. similar in appearance to pics here in previous posts. the crack /gap/separation has been getting larger.
my burn pot has the 5 lower holes. i have been using thermosteel(autozone)to fill the crack and 5 holes., the thermosteel lasts about 2 months.
my dealer has agreed to take the stove in the spring and replace the weldement(sp?)the charge will be $250 for pick-up and delevery only.
no charge for labor or parts.he said harman will cover this one time only because they have determined the cause to be a maint. issue.
that carbon builds up on the auger ? i don't buy it but what else can i do? i feel it is a design flaw and the tube should be designed to be replaceable
with out tearing the entire stove apart.

CelciusMaximus said:
found a crack/gap/separation during cleaning. similar in appearance to pics here in previous posts. the crack /gap/separation has been getting larger.
my burn pot has the 5 lower holes. i have been using thermosteel(autozone)to fill the crack and 5 holes., the thermosteel lasts about 2 months.
.....he said harman will cover this one time only because they have determined the cause to be a maint. issue.
that carbon builds up on the auger
? i don't buy it but what else can i do? i feel it is a design flaw......

I agree w/ you. Sounds like a crock of crap from Harman, IMO. Many members think Harman is the "be all and end all" of pellet stoves. I think Harman just can't bring itself to admit there's any problem with their designs......many forum members had the same problem as you do.

CelciusMaximus said:
my dealer has agreed to take the stove in the spring and replace the weldement(sp?)the charge will be $250 for pick-up and delevery only.
no charge for labor or parts.he said harman will cover this one time only because they have determined the cause to be a maint. issue.
that carbon builds up on the auger ? i don't buy it but what else can i do? i feel it is a design flaw and the tube should be designed to be replaceable
with out tearing the entire stove apart.

I've run into about a 1/2 dozen harmans with a crack or hole in the feeder tube. It's a rare occurance, but it does happen. They were all replaced under wtty, but it is a big job to replace. It's part of the entire feeder mechanism. Make sure they install a crossover tube kit while they are at it, should eliminate the "carbon" excuse.

I am sure they are replacing the feeder with the same kit for the burnback issue which comes with tube kit and directions. I think your dealer is putting the main. issue on you. I dont know how in three yrs you could do anything to ruin your feeder tube?? If it was a main. issue harman would not cover it period. Pick and delivery charge is reasonable. The insert is the easiest harman to do a feeder replacement on. About 3 hrs., if you have done 1-2 before... I am assuming they are replacing burnpot also due to the extra holes in the bottom?

CelciusMaximus said:
lid keeps popping off hinges and won't stay open on its own.
are there any adjustments i can make or should the
latch mechanism be replaced? would this be covered under the "gold"
warranty? thanks

as for the lid keeping popping off the stove, are your hinge points clear of fines? They can get filled with fines which, when you close the lid, leverages the door right out of the hinge points......there are two little keepers on the stove body, removeable by an allen screw....pull them out and clean back there....as for the latch which wont stay open, thats usually covered under warranty, as well as the "worn auger tube" issue. Unfortunately, the lids arent made to be forced closed, and when fines, or pellets, get caught in the hinge, they are all too often forced closed, which bends the latch mechanism.....its been fixed, but there are still older models out there with the old ball-spring catch latch mechanism....

@rickwa i'm not sure if they will be replacing the burn pot .i know they should.what does the tube kit
contain?

@louseyweather all clear in the little keepers

insist that the burnpot is replaced under warranty. Harman will cover it. That is one fix to get the fire out of the very bottom of the burn pot and move it a little closer to the front. If the fire is to low it increases the risk for burnback, also puts auger tube and auger in the hottest part of the fire. Which they are not supposed to be. Feeder weldment kit contains new feeder assembly, all gaskets to change it and a tube kit to update feeder to fix the burnback risk. Harman wants the burnpots with the 5 holes in the bottom replaced. They will send dealer one at n/c. Dont let dealer blow smoke.Harman is taking care of this stuff to reduce there liability because there is a known problem of some stoves have smoldered pellets in the hopper. I commend them for doing everything they can do to fix the problem and pay the dealer a fair price to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.