horizonal stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whitey

Nov 9, 2011
N.E.Pa.
Hi out there, i'm new to this forum and to pellet stoves, i'm installing a pellet stove (free standing) in my living room, i'm going to run the chimney pipe through the back of my fireplace the horizonal run will be about four feet before it goes verticle, will this work? Thanks Whitey

The general answer is yes. You'll want a cleanout door where it goes vertical, if possible. And you may want to go to 4" as compared to 3" pipe. That's something that can be calculated from total pipe length plus the sort of turns it takes. Don't know that formula myself.

My dealer told me each 45, 90, and tee is equal to 5 feet of pipe. I think the 3" pipe is limited to 15ft runs. So you may want to go to 4" for peace of mind.

Are you venting directly outside or going up the chimney? If up the chimney, you need to run your venting all the way up then past 18" past your cap.

+1 on 4" diameter venting. You'll never regret it.

Read your manual and know what the EVL is.

Eric

1' of Vertical. = 1/2 ft of pipe
1' of Horizontal = 1 ft of pipe
45* elbow. = 2 1/2 ft of pipe
90 or cleanout T = 5 ft of pipe

Most Manufacturers recommend 4" Pellet vent over 15' EVL. Its a good idea to use 4" in any case. But as long as your within parameters, 3" will work below 15'.

Status
Not open for further replies.