Horizontal Install, Anybody have any Problems??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

terryjd98

Jul 1, 2008
Ontario Canada
I have seen a few horizontal installs on here and they look good so I was planning on installing my stove vent pipe that way. I went to a stove store to see about buying the vent pipe parts I need but the stove store really pushed not to install that way. They said that most people have problems with smoke blow back. Said when they install they want at least a 6ft. rise in the pipe to get enough draft and if they are able do it the way they want they will go all the way up through the soffet to 2 feet over the roof.
I was wondering if anybody has done a horizontal install and had problems with smoke blow back or stove not working right? I am going to be installing an Enviro Evolution, manual shows that type of install but has me wondering now.
I suppose I could install horizontal way then if had problems take it all apart and do a vertical install I just don't want to be out there when its 20 below doing an install again, would rather do it right the first time.
Thanks for any advice.
Terry

I have that exhaust and have not had one single problem. No soot on the outside of the house and when power was lost very very little smoke was noticed in the house i could not even see the smoke but i could smell it but only briefly. I would put the pipe at least 18" from the outside wall of the house if possible. I have a 45 at the end of the pipe andd it works well at minium cost.

I am going with a horizontal install as well. I had some questions like yours and most came back with the answer that on occasion on a power outage you can get some smoke in the house till the fire burns out. The advantage of the six foot rise vertically is that a natural draft occurs pulling the smoke out from the unit. I am opting to go with a battery back up so this does not happen, the back up power will run the unit and fan so the smoke will exhaust outside. The piping I will have is also part of an outside air kit. That is a whole nother conversation in these posts. No experience yet, but am hoping the system works as claimed.

5yrs burning quad castile feee standing, corner installation.....direct vent (horizontal)....18" outside termination....performance so far, (flawless)....cleaning vent pipe yearly (simple)....

info from "woodsman23" (very sound)......join the ranks of satisfied (horizontal direct vent stove owners)....

I agree i have the same Horizontal 18" from the house setup. the stove is plugged into a $60 UPS which will give me enough time to power it down properly in case of a power outage to avoid the possible smoke leakage.

Nice to hear some good reassurances from the horizontal burners. That was one of my worries, the soot outside and smoke possibly inside. Looks like things should go Okay.

I also have 18" horizontal on log home with no soot whatsoever . Not only that, i'm only a foot from 2 windows . Muss

I ran a horizontal vent last season and was not happy with it. No soot on the house, but light ash built up on all the window sills on that side of the house as well as the siding from swirling winds. I also could not live with sparks coming out of the vent and occasionally landing(still glowing) on the siding. I imagine this is ok, but I was not comfortable with it. The termination was over 20" from the siding, so clearance was no issue. I had power go out one time in the middle of the night. The house stunk for 2 days. No thanks.

I ended up changing it to 12 foot vertical and couldn't be happier. I bought a 330 watt ups for brief outages. Just so happens that as I was running the stove last week we lost power for 3 hours. I was curious to see how long the ups would last. About 20 seconds later the ups crapped out. The vertical rise took every ounce of smoke and stink out of the house. F the ups, go with the vertical rise and sleep good @ night. Just my 2 cents, but I have had both. It cost me an extra $380 for pipe and about 2 hours of work but is unquestionably a superior way to go.

Sorry if I am following this thread incorrectly -

but I am wondering what the limitation is to install horizontal as well - let me clarify

Pellet Stove ---6 ft rise -----right angle to outside -----then 4 feet straight pipe that rises 12 inches in 4 feet then terminates to vent hood

Does anyone see this posing an issue ?
I have not done this yet but here is why.
I want to install the pellet stove in my basement - the pipe will rise 6 feet then right angle to the outside - where it will be under a deck.
I'm no fool (popular opinion varies) but this doesnt seem to me 'unsafe' given the low temps coming out a pellet stove exhaust.

Be kind....like I said...I havent done it yet and thats why I'm posing the question here first.
I have limited options to vent this thing and going vertical all the way is out of the question due to the interior restrictions of floors above the intented installation point in the basement.

thx folks,
-John

StoveMiser said:
I ran a horizontal vent last season and was not happy with it. No soot on the house, but light ash built up on all the window sills on that side of the house as well as the siding from swirling winds. I also could not live with sparks coming out of the vent and occasionally landing(still glowing) on the siding. I imagine this is ok, but I was not comfortable with it. The termination was over 20" from the siding, so clearance was no issue. I had power go out one time in the middle of the night. The house stunk for 2 days. No thanks.

I ended up changing it to 12 foot vertical and couldn't be happier. I bought a 330 watt ups for brief outages. Just so happens that as I was running the stove last week we lost power for 3 hours. I was curious to see how long the ups would last. About 20 seconds later the ups crapped out. The vertical rise took every ounce of smoke and stink out of the house. F the ups, go with the vertical rise and sleep good @ night. Just my 2 cents, but I have had both. It cost me an extra $380 for pipe and about 2 hours of work but is unquestionably a superior way to go.

I agree. I dont have a horizontal install. I have an 8' rise. But....know some around here that did and they have changed theirs. At the T on the outside of the house before my rise starts....I have some real fine powdery fly ash when I clean it out....if I was at a direct vent at that spot, that would be exiting somewhere....perhaps some on my siding. I have seen bad pics and stories of direct venting. And it takes more than a season sometimes to effect your siding....

muss said:
I also have 18" horizontal on log home with no soot whatsoever . Not only that, i'm only a foot from 2 windows . Muss

You havent used yours very long have you muss?

Yeah this will be my first season. Most likely add at least a three foot rise next summer once I'm able to pay of the stove bill with tax money :)

How big should you go? It kinda becomes and eyesore once it gets to high. Don't get me wrong ill take an eyesore over blackened Siding and ash on my hedges.

I was fortunate that the wall I vent through has no eave, so I was able to go straight up after the cleanout to about 2 feet above the roof line. Looks very clean. Direct horizontal vents look like hell in my opinion

whats the benefit to go that high? new to pellet stoves so just wondering. i heard three feet would make a difference for smoke leakage during power lose

I only went that high because I like the look of a vertical rain cap better than having to put a 90 and then a horizontal vent cap. I also thought it would keep any and all exhaust discharge off the siding. For my house, this was the "cleanest" approach.

StoveMiser said:
I was fortunate that the wall I vent through has no eave, so I was able to go straight up after the cleanout to about 2 feet above the roof line. Looks very clean. Direct horizontal vents look like hell in my opinion

To each their own i guess, i think all that extra pipe looks like crap but hey... I live in the middle of 60+ acres so looks mean little to me. I wash my siding at least 4xs a year and have never seen any soot/ash maybe some birdcrap and some spiderwebs.

I see your in western ny also seems to be alot of us.

My place

66-65-75412.jpg

kast said:
Yeah this will be my first season. Most likely add at least a three foot rise next summer once I'm able to pay of the stove bill with tax money :)

How big should you go? It kinda becomes and eyesore once it gets to high. Don't get me wrong ill take an eyesore over blackened Siding and ash on my hedges.

Mine goes up 8'.....but only had the installer do that for my own peace of mind because my oil filler is near there...but I believe the manual recommends a 3' rise at least. Perhaps later I will go above my roof line a bit. But at an 8' rise I get virtually no soot to very little on the top of my rise on the dryer vent cap. I thought I wouldnt like it for the eyesore purposes either.....but it doesnt look to bad.....and my wallet doesnt look to bad either lol.

Attachments

• stove8.jpg
    stove8.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 417
Status
Not open for further replies.