Hose barb broken on combustion blower, any tips?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseRRies

Dec 21, 2009
Eastern Shore, MD
So I decided with this nice weather that I should do a little cleaning. I swept out my liner, cleaned up my stove, and removed both blowers for cleaning and oiling. When I removed the combustion blower I must have knocked into the hose barb that is for the pressure switch and it broke off of the casing. Its an aluminum hose barb fitting with threads on the outside so that a nut holds it to the blower casing. After so many years of use it appears to have corroded badly which is why it only took a little bump to break it. Does anyone out there know of a replacement part number for this part? Is this part even a replaceable part or is it one of those things where they make you buy a new blower even though the one you have works fine its just missing a stupid $0.02 part. I found a part made by Enviro called and aluminum hose barb PN EF-019 but it doesn't appear to have any threads...maybe I can thread it? Any suggestions are appreciated.

PS I have a Whitfield Advantage II WP2

Thanks Everyone

If it is a standard 1/4" pipe thread you might be able to use a regular barbed fitting for air compressors.

If all else fails buy yourself some liquid steel. Clean the two pieces with a small wire brush. Mix the hardener and resin and glue it together. Some may call this jury-rigging but it will do in a pinch for a quick temporary repair until you can find the right parts. One other place to look would be at Grainger or McMaster Carr. Both carry a myriad of fittings that would suit your needs.

PV

Status
Not open for further replies.