Hot or cold chain sharpening?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hareball

Dec 11, 2009
Jersey shore/pines
I've been doing the sharpening every time I burn through a tank of fuel and it's been working great. I usually refill the bar oil, then the fuel and by that time the chain has had time to cool but I wondered if hitting the chain while it was hot would make a difference?

Wouldnt think so.

How hot?

I would think if your chain temp is getting into steel tempering or annealing range you've got some other problems.

If it's just uncomfortable to touch (as opposed to dangerous to touch) I doubt you'll notice a difference.

As hot as it would be if say I was cutting into a large piece of hardwood with a chain ready for a touch up...I can grab the bar and chain without injury but would be more comfortable with a rag.

Just really wondering if there is an advantage. I'm new at sharpening so looking for ways to get the best results.

hareball said:
As hot as it would be if say I was cutting into a large piece of hardwood with a chain ready for a touch up...I can grab the bar and chain without injury but would be more comfortable with a rag.

Just really wondering if there is an advantage. I'm new at sharpening so looking for ways to get the best results.

not going to get any advantage, But you must be getting pretty good at sharpening at this point!

Being vision impaired has made it a challenge. For me it's my stance that matters most since visually I can't focus in unless i'm inches away from the file and chain. The guide has not been my friend so it's been freestyle.
I think I'm doing okay. I can get a good way through a tank of fuel before I find myself putting any weight into the saw. My first chain is on the backslide at this point though so I just put a new chain on and gonna get a good look at how the file fits in on the new chain.

here's how I do mine and if your doing a pretty good job on your chain, and some what clean wood you should be able to get a cord or more with one sharpening. Old timer told me to save my chain work for the shop where there is cold beer...I dont drink much but that statement stuck.

Attachments

• resize work benck with lights.jpg
    resize work benck with lights.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 266
Thats what I need right there is a workbench. My garage is organized chaos but I could set up a small bench in my office with some good lighting.

hareball said:
Thats what I need right there is a workbench. My garage is organized chaos but I could set up a small bench in my office with some good lighting.

lighting is the #1 factor and the magnifying glass is sweeet.

Great setup Smokinjay. I agree, save the chainwork for the shop. Keep extra chains with you in the sawbox to replace in the field.

The temp difference is on no consequence. I think you're on the right track establishing a routine.

I sharpen every 1 - 2 tanks of fuel.

I like to put away sharp chains. One never knows when a cutting opportunity will pop up.

Hot steel is softer than cold so sharpen the chain, by file, when hot.

True, but it's a matter of degrees - pun intended.

Hareball described his chain as:

I can grab the bar and chain without injury but would be more comfortable with a rag.

When one is talking softening steel, one is usually many hundred degrees F. Hareball's description indicates this is simply "warm".

Think about his,when you use your grinder,you will generate heat.The more that is taken off the tooth the more friction or heat will be generated. I witnessed one man grinding a chain and he had the tip off the tooth glowing.He will never get my business, Ken

Ken said:
Think about his,when you use your grinder,you will generate heat.The more that is taken off the tooth the more friction or heat will be generated. I witnessed one man grinding a chain and he had the tip off the tooth glowing.He will never get my business, Ken

lol cant think of any reason anyone with more than a few min.'s on a grinder would think they need to touch a cutter for more than a split second. And with a stone on the grinder it would blow apart.

Status
Not open for further replies.