hot stack temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
From my experience, the best first step is to check the accuracy of the thermometer/sensor you are measuring stack temp with. Yrs. ago I was getting high stack temp measurements with a brand new Tarm supplied thermometer when I read a post by Jebatty that mentioned calibrating your thermometer. I gave it a shot and found the new thermometer was off about 200 deg.

stihlwoody said:
I am running a GW 100. I have always ran high stack temps, 600-800. Anybody have a fix for this?
Steve
Are you seeing 6 to 800 on the outside of the pipe? If so that means you have approx 1200 to 1600 flue gas temps at pipe center(check accuracy as Frank says). Not so good if readings are accurate. Only thing I could suggest is trying a baffle plate inside the boiler to slow down the flue gas around the exchanger. Is there room over the top of the exchanger? If your Greenwood is in the house you could use a Heatilator to extract heat from the flue gas. The heat will not go into the boiler water though. Randy

Internal temps, seems to be calibrated, have tried a steel plate on top of stack to slow draft. will try a baffle on top of refactory to try and slow gases.
Steve

Have you checked/cleaned the HX? I remember some of the GW guys talking about lots of creosote accumulating around the tubes. Maybe some of them would get onto this thread if you added GW 100 to the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.