House smells like smoke in mid summer.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PalletteBurner

Jun 22, 2009
Saint Louis, MO
Bought this house last year and burned wood all winter. Now that it is hot and humid, the house smells of smoke though I have not had a fire in months.

Do I need one of those sealing chimmney caps?

It's a brick fireplace (about 22 years old) with a High Valley insert.

I cut a round plug out of 6" thick foam rubber, and made it a little bigger in diameter than the pipe that passes through the thimble into the chimney. I can reach in my cleanout door outside and install it in the thimble. If I push it into the pipe a little bit so it does not stick out into the chimney, I can leave it in when I brush the chimney, too. No smoke smell, no dust when brushing, no bees. :cheese:

I just need to be sure I remember to take it out at the start of the burning season! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.