Hover Fly?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
These things would fly to a sunny area hover for a while then take off, wish I could have taken a better picture.

zap
100_5422.JPG
100_5423.JPG
100_5425.JPG
100_5426.JPG

Reactions: ScotO and quads
Not sure what it is, but it's big. June bug?

Set the camera to shutter speed preferred and bump up the shutterspeed to 1/250 to freeze the motion.

Can't tell scale (or a lot else) from those pics, but fireflies (of which there are many species) are crepuscular winged beetles with bioluminescence. The ones I'm most familiar with (from my time living in Virginia) typically fly with that slow hovering behavior...makes them very easy to catch a jar full. It was interesting to watch their behavior through the annual cycle...first when it warmed in the spring a few blinking low in the bushes, and by later in the hot summer gobs of them way up in the trees. At our weekend place out on the Shenandoah River, where there were no lights around, the fireflies would put on a pretty spectacular show. Dunno if that's what you've got here...seems like if it was this wouldn't be the first time you've seen them. Rick

Not sure what it is, but it's big. June bug?

Set the camera to shutter speed preferred and bump up the shutterspeed to 1/250 to freeze the motion.

Not a Junebug, they reminded me of a hummingbird, hover then 0-60 in 1.5 seconds. I'll see if I can change the shutter speed.

The back of these things, once they hovered in the sun started to glow like the sun. In the first picture you can see the orange glow.

zap

Thought it looked pretty big...the "luminosity" must be an artifact of the photos. Behavior sounds just like a Hummingbird.

Hummingbird Nest Documentary.

zap

Hummingbirds are fascinating. They hold a lot of records, among the little birds in the >350 identified species. The smallest bird known is a Hummingbird, and Hummingbirds...in addition to being able to hover in mid-air...are the only birds known to be able to fly backwards. They are really quite amazing little creatures in a whole lot of ways. Some of them have brilliantly iridescent feather coloring that will pick up the sun's light like in your pics. Rick

neat pictures Zap. Not sure what the hell that is, but I am impressed you even got a picture of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.