How 2 dry Birch? 16 Mo still looks wet, Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
I was starting a new burn, & I usually throw in some birch bark to help get it going strong.
I pulled the bark off a 1/2 Rnd - 6" split, (It came off hard but down to the inner layer) & saw a multi-colored cambium layer.
To me it looked like it was still wet out near the bark, a few inches in from the ends, after 16 months.
So I grabbed a similar piece, it looked similar.
Leads me to believe the birch with the bark on takes longer to season (most say 1 year)
I am thinking that making a cut or slash near the middle of the split thru the bark may help improve seasoning .
Does this look like it is still wet to you?
I'm starting to believe that birch here anyway, needs to go tho the "2 years to season" list.
This may explain some of why, sometimes I have burning issues on lower fire settings.

Attachments

• 100_5719.jpg
    100_5719.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 401
  • 100_5720.jpg
    100_5720.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 391
Yes, birch bark doesn't release any moisture (the reason they made good canoes!) You have to split birch if you wan it to dry.

wendell said:
Yes, birch bark doesn't release any moisture (the reason they made good canoes!) You have to split birch if you wan it to dry.

These are splits, from about a 6" round. 16 months seasoned
Yes, the bark is oily & water proof so seasoning is going to take longer, probably 2 years + to be good & dry.

Attachments

• 100_5723.jpg
    100_5723.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 383
When I'm splitting birch I like to remove any bark that will come off as I go and save it for starting fires. This past May I cut up a white birch and it's burning very nicely at present, no complaints.

The birch I have is a little over a year cut/split/corded and it's all dry. Dry enoguh that I can pretty much light a log on fire with just a match.

Did you check the wood with a moisture meter?
I'm guessing this is a case in point where the wood is fairly dry, but the rain dampness hasn't gone away yet. How do you store this wood - under cover, or exposed to rain?
I burn some white birch, and often don't split it. It dries outside, uncovered, for a year, and then I put it inside my basement wood room. By the time I get to it, it's down to about 18%.

wendell said:

I've noticed this for white birch, but yellow birch seems to season just fine in the round (I've had up to 6-7" rounds season very well in just over a year). Not sure if there is a big difference in how the bark of different species of birch retain moisture. Black (sweet) birch seems to certainly be a different beast. Cheers!

maplewood said:
Did you check the wood with a moisture meter?
I'm guessing this is a case in point where the wood is fairly dry, but the rain dampness hasn't gone away yet. How do you store this wood - under cover, or exposed to rain?
I burn some white birch, and often don't split it. It dries outside, uncovered, for a year, and then I put it inside my basement wood room. By the time I get to it, it's down to about 18%.

No moisture meter. Don't think it was from the rain.
Un-split birch here will rot in the rounds, it has to be split to dry.
Maybe my seasoning methods are poor.
Maybe it's just stain. I'm going to let it lay around a while & see if it changes color.

Attachments

• 100_5714.jpg
    100_5714.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 266
Toss it in the stove and see how it burns, maybe it just looks "wet".

You may want to try seasoning your wood in single rows outside for a year before moving it into the shed. The extra touches stink but it may help. With the short Alaskan summers and the tightly packed wood shed it may take an extra year or so to season it if you're putting it in the shed right after splitting.

rdust said:

You may want to try seasoning your wood in single rows outside for a year before moving it into the shed. The extra touches stink but it may help. With the short Alaskan summers and the tightly packed wood shed it may take an extra year or so to season it if you're putting it in the shed right after splitting.

I think you are right, I ain't moving the stuff in the shed. But when I get able to cut & split more, It'll be stacked single rows on pallets for a year+.

I keep learning here, now to put it into practice. When I get this all figured out, I'm gonna celebrate. Probably end up wintering I Hawaii,
but I'll have some good wood in Alaska. :)

bogydave said:
rdust said:

I think you are right, I ain't moving the stuff in the shed. But when I get able to cut & split more, It'll be stacked single rows on pallets for a year+.

I keep learning here, now to put it into practice. When I get this all figured out, I'm gonna celebrate. Probably end up wintering in Hawaii,
but I'll have some good wood in Alaska. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.