How about this hobby? This is nuts!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2 thoughts,

Whoever manufacturers the components for those things should hire this boy to stress test every component they make.

Next, I don't care how good the kid is there is no way in hell I'd be standing there w/out a lexan shield around me w/ that thing flying like that. Good way to have your throat slit.

Talented kid.

pen

Twenty years ago I passed an open field with a lot of cars and people out in it and somebody was flying a R/C helo. I gawked at how close they were. Coming back the rescue squad meat wagon was hauling out of there running code 3. And a somber looking crowd was piling into cars and leaving.

Think I know what happened.

I cannot stand it. I grew up with a house full of boys. I cannot stand those little engine noises and those things that get under your feet or fly around your head. Every &*^# Christmas a new one.

I think I know what Justin's dad does for a living.

Attachments

• going verticle.jpg
    going verticle.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 271
Never got into the heli's but I have been flying fixed wing RC for a decade - From small park electrics up to the big gasoline planes. Pretty much everything except gliders and turbine jets.

That kind of frenetic stuff - called "3D" or "freestyle" is all the rage, but maybe < 5% of pilots can do it like that. You do see that stuff at international level Freestyle aerobatic competition (events like the Futaba Extreme Flight Championship), but that alone wont win even at that level. You have to mix in smooth precision moves as well.

The thing is - while that kid of flying "looks" cool to many, its actually not as hard to master as smooth precision aerobatics (like full scale aerobatic competition). In R/C we call that pattern... OTOH what this kid is doing is banging the sticks around. Its very easy to cover up mistakes just banging into the next move. You would be surprised how hard it is do seemingly simple things precisely - like fly a perfectly straight line or perfectly round slow loop in RC.

There are all kinds of classes of "nuts" in RC. You should see what the speed freaks with the turbine jets do (200mph+) And the giant scale aircraft that can run up to 50lb and 10ft or more. Or the micro indoor stuff that weighs only grams. The sailplane pilots who fly for hours riding thermals. The scale meets where guys spend thousands of hours building a miniature accurate down to the individual rivet and then go fly it (my personal fav).

On other point on safety... This stuff does have risks and we all fly as part of a national org that has a strict safety code, noise rules, and insurance. Those of us who play by the rules do this FAR from crowds and use common sense guidelines like not flying maneuvers toward the crowd. Accidents have sadly happened, but most of the time when they do it turns out that somebody was not following the safety code.

Status
Not open for further replies.