How big can a White Pine be?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jerry_NJ

Minister of Fire
Apr 19, 2008
New Jersey USA
Finishing the subject line: How big can a White Pine round be and still be dry enough to burn in 12 months?

The latest heavy snow and high winds in NJ have brought a number of large White Pine branches down. For reference, I normally do not split a hardwood round smaller than 7" in diameter. Can I treat the White Pine the same as far as drying/seasoning goes? For those who burn soft wood regularly, what is the largest size that you use as a "round" - un-split?

i dont know about the other guys but if i know i can hit it with the axe or maul i split it.
if its smaller than say 4 inches i leave it be.
but thats just me.

i have a small stove too.
so would depend on your stove size if you ask me

one other thing i do is if i cant pick it up with one hand i split it.

keep in mind i havent really burned pine

I try to split most of my firewood. I just don't like the way rounds season or burn. They start too slow for me, Maybe it is a lack of patience, but I prefer splits.

You can treat the pine the same as the hardwoods. It will dry, albeit a bit slower. I'd allow 2 years seasoning time if not split smaller.

I like big well seasoned hardwood rounds for the "all nighter" burn. Give pine tends to burn faster, it seems a round burning slower could be a plus. Still how long does it have to season.

Thanks for the inputs. I will limit my rounds to 7" and let then season at least a year, and split anything larger and also season it a year or more. I already have some one-year old pine I plan to use next year...and as mention I'm getting more this year do to the weather "pruning" my White Pin trees. I must have at leas 20 large White Pine trees. A year ago one whole tree blew over, that's the pine I have that is already one year old, albeit I have not split some of the large rounds yet. I think pine may split better after some drying rather than green. I'm not sure on this point.

I have been spoiled with the plentiful hardwood supply in the NE. Hum, not sure that goes all the way to the US northern border. But I ramble...never mind.

Edited: change 4" to 7" for rounds, i.e., plan to age them for two years... I have about 1/4 cord that fit that description. They will be two years next heating season.

Sounds like you figured it out. 7" rounds of pine would be fine, but not after one year. If you can save them for two years, they will burn great. You are also correct that pine splits easier when it is drier.

Status
Not open for further replies.