How big is yours?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spot

Jun 27, 2006
The fireplace is part of a large oceanfront house designed by Allen Elliot to capture the spirit of local history. Built by masonry contractor Martin Barnes (left) of Bow, Washington, head mason Dan Valentine (right) and their crew, the fireplace's great maw measures 10 ft. wide and 7 ft. high. The chimney, massive enough to serve as a shear wall, is faced with granite river rock and features a remote-control damper at its top.

Builder, Earl Estenson and crew had to form and pour the Rumford-style throat in place: they also cast the exposed-aggregate mantel in the same manner. Retracting glass doors keep drafts to a minimum and small animals safe. "unlike some big fireplaces," says Barnes, "this one really heats well."

Attachments

• bigrumford.jpg
    bigrumford.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 684
Well that would certainly cut down on the need to split 36" rounds. Just toss'em in. Whole. I think that thing could eat Eric Johnson's woodpile in about six days.

Holly Crap !
I want one of them.

I did see one that big in an old Inn on the Oregon coast.

First time I've seen patio doors on a fireplace. Nice work, but I shudder to think of what the total size of this place is... Is this a single family 'summer' home? Seems to harken back to the days of history when we thought nothing of clear cutting acres of virgin, first growth forest for temporary dock pilings.

BeGreen said:
First time I've seen patio doors on a fireplace. Nice work, but I shudder to think of what the total size of this place is... Is this a single family 'summer' home? Seems to harken back to the days of history when we thought nothing of clear cutting acres of virgin, first growth forest for temporary dock pilings.

No kidding Be... The sad thing is that a big Russian heater would probably do a lot better on 1/100th the wood bill.

I'll be that thing heats well... Honey...would ya toss a couple more REDWOOD rounds on the fire?

Look at the bright side Warren. You can throw Elm trees into it whole. No splitting.

I bet the draft that thing produces would suck you up the chimney when its blazing!

BrotherBart said:
Look at the bright side Warren. You can throw Elm trees into it whole. No splitting.

Eeeeeexxxxxxxelent!!!!! Given that perspective...I want one..

Dylan said:
How big is MINE?? Well, it depends.....last time I checked it was......

Dylan

Clear the decks. Dylan's back!

Only in America.

I think that is the purfect spot to build the Holz Hausen. A little test for the "top down" start then...watch for weeks prior to reload.

Status
Not open for further replies.