How can I Improve DRAFT?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

Hey all,

Im sure this has been discussed, but for the sake of getting people talking I will start a new post. Since installing the Englander, I am having a bear of a time getting a good draft. Right out of the stove i have a 6 inch going up 3 feet to a 45 degree angle through the wall going out and up outside the house 18 feet. Would adding another 3 feet improve draft? Just thinking what i can do this summer to prepare for next winter. Changing the cap perhaps to a different style. The current cap is similar to the one below.Thanks all.

Attachments

• Twinwall.jpg
    Twinwall.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 179
That setup doesn't sound bad enough to be the source of the problem. I'm wondering if negative pressure is more the issue.

I can't remember if in your other thread on the draft problem, anyone suggested that an internal part like the baffle might be out of position and inhibiting your draft.
There's got to be a reason why. Was that flue pipe a professional install? Is the exterior flue getting too cold? Did you try opening a window to see if that improves the draft?
Come on, hearth brain trust, let's get to the bottom of this!

The chimney doesn't sound like it should be an issue to me either. Has the chimney been brushed recently?

Matt

In addition to the 18 feet, the chimney needs to extend three feet above the roof vertically at the roof's closest point (for example, where it exits the roof or passes the edge of the roof), AND be two feet above any point on the roof which is within a 10-foot radius. If there are trees or other tall structures nearby, they can also inhibit draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.