How can I tell that the prior installers were a bunch of hackers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just go look at the thimble. Is it mounted over the vinyl siding with silicone gooping out around every edge?

Take note all you hackers!!!!

How to: Install a wall thimble the right way on a home with vinyl siding

Step #1

Mount your interior thimble to the wall with a vent pipe inserted. Place the outer thimble into the opening and with a magnetic level on the vent raise the outer thimble to position and then mark the siding.

ENIMAGE1318183409835.jpg

with the thimble removed....

ENIMAGE1318183471428.jpg

Step #2

Cut the siding away. I use a Dremel Multi-max. Perfect for vinyl, especially when it is 5 degrees outside.

ENIMAGE1318183484046.jpg

ENIMAGE1318183624598.jpg

Step #3

Cut your J-Channel. The sides are the same length of the thimble and the top and bottom are the length of the thimble plus the width of each side of the J-channel

ENIMAGE1318183857625.jpg

Make sure to notch out the sheating side of the top and bottom J-channel so the pieces will fit into the opening

ENIMAGE1318183870981.jpg

Step #4

Install the J-Channel. Top and bottom first, then the sides.

ENIMAGE1318183945857.jpg

I like to hide 1 screw under the center of the lower channels just to keep the opening from sagging.

ENIMAGE1318184092684.jpg

Step #5

Install the outer thimble. Again, insert the pipe through the opening. Use a level to center the pipe and secure the thimble with screws

ENIMAGE1318184218201.jpg

Fantastic job Scott!!! Love it. Pictures are worth a 1,000 words.

Bah! My installer (StoveKeepers, nh) performed the same hack job on my vent pipe. I looked at it after and noticed a few gaps in the silicone. I had wrongfully assumed they knew what they were doing. The inspector didn't even look at the chimney work outside.

Does your company service southern NH?

Attachments

• pipe.jpg
    pipe.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 951
ehkewley said:
Bah! My installer (StoveKeepers, nh) performed the same hack job on my vent pipe. I looked at it after and noticed a few gaps in the silicone. I had wrongfully assumed they knew what they were doing. The inspector didn't even look at the chimney work outside.

Does your company service southern NH?

Yes we do. No inspector is going to raise a brow at a hacked thimble...heck they may even tell me I have to make a silicone mess...like the Falmouth, MA inspector once did.

Just finished the flue install yesterday.
Glad i took the time to do it like you discribed in the pics.
Was thinking all week how to deal with the vinyl.
Descided to copy how the builder delt with similar openings.
It does look better. i did the same for the seperate OAK.
Also ran the flue up 12'-0" to clear the roof line.
Glad i'm not labeled a hack. Can someone tell the wife now!!!

Hope I get a passing grade?

Attachments

• IMAG0072.jpg
    IMAG0072.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 958
Status
Not open for further replies.