How do I calculate the clearance to combustibles diagonally from a stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tradergordo

Minister of Fire
May 31, 2006
Phoenixville, PA
gordosoft.com
I figured clearances in every direction would be described in the install manual, maybe I just missed it, but I can't find this one. There is a front clearance, and a side clearance, and clearances from the corners for a corner install, but none of the measures given seem to show what I'm looking for. I think a picture is a 1000 words in this case, so I made one (see attachment).

Basically I want to know how to calculate the clearance distance to combustibles going diagonally from the corner of the stove when all I have are the side and front clearances? (methods I can think of are square, arc, or straight line)

(FYI, my actual stove owner's manual is here)

Attachments

• ClearancesToCombustibles.jpg
    ClearancesToCombustibles.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 656
  • ClearancesToCombustibles2.jpg
    ClearancesToCombustibles2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 518
DonCT said:
I would think once you meet the clearances for the side and back, the corner clearances is not a consideration. Is there some reason why you need the corner clearance?

Yea - if I could take a photo of my actual room it would be helpful, but I have a big (unmovable really) wooden, carpeted, platform for a wrap-around couch in the room (imagine stadium seating for a big sectional sofa). This thing is actually NOT within the side clearance or front clearance when I measure straight out from the side and from the front. If I calculated the diagonal clearance from the corner of the stove using the stright line method it would be pretty close and maybe too close, any other method it would definitely be too close. I'm already planning to cut the corner off this thing so it isn't so close but obviously where I cut will depend on the answer to this question.

See attachment pic - the mass in the bottom right corner represents the item that may need trimming.

Attachments

• ClearancesToCombustibles2.jpg
    ClearancesToCombustibles2.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 537
From the manual:

"In general, a distance of 48” (1220 mm)
must be maintained between the stove and moveable
combustible items such as drying clothes, furniture,
newspapers, firewood, etc. Keeping those clearance
areas empty assures that nearby surfaces and objects
will not overheat."

I read it as a distance of 48" in every direction from the stove to furniture. So I would take a piece of 48" string - tie it to the corner of the stove - and swing it all the way around and you'll have a radius.

I think Josh's answer is the most simple and elegant. But if you wanted mathematical proof of the distances, I guess you could use the pythagorean theorem to solve the length of the hypotenuse. for instance in the case of the yellow dotted line the distance should be around 53". for the other two scenarios you'll have to determine the length of the second side of the triangle. Here's a handy link for a calculator:

http://tinyurl.com/zcxk7

You're using the 23" side distance, so that means your installation is rear-exit with the flue collar heat shields?

Have a look at Figure 17. It shows the dimensions of a wall-mounted heat shield. You're not using a heat shield, but shouldn't the distance that heat shield extends beyond the front of the stove correspond with the distance you can continue to observe the 23" (or less) side clearance? Might be worth looking in to. Problem is the manual doesn't tell you directly how far that heat shield must extend.

Actually I should have used 21" in my drawing, although this is not really a match. I have a corner installation top flue, with no heat shields. I am not concerned with clearance to the wall though, but clearance to an object off to the side. I guess if "in general" I need to keep any "movable" object 48" away from the stove (in any direction) that kind of answers my question. Although I may not really be able to move this thing, I might have to build a protective wall in front of it instead, but I have no idea how to figure out if that is possible (and still meet code, and if so what distance to the protective wall is OK?). I am going to try to rearrange things and somehow try to figure out how to move that platform (lots of levers/prybars/jacks/dollies - will be fun!)

KP Matt said:
You're using the 23" side distance, so that means your installation is rear-exit with the flue collar heat shields?

Have a look at Figure 17. It shows the dimensions of a wall-mounted heat shield. You're not using a heat shield, but shouldn't the distance that heat shield extends beyond the front of the stove correspond with the distance you can continue to observe the 23" (or less) side clearance? Might be worth looking in to. Problem is the manual doesn't tell you directly how far that heat shield must extend.

Status
Not open for further replies.