How do I mod my saw?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

infinitymike

Minister of Fire
Aug 23, 2011
Long Island, NY
Hey guys.
I haven't done any research but can you point me in the direction to modify my stihl MS311.
I'd like to find a set by step link.
I guess I should first ask, is it worth it? Will it perform better but die sooner?
In the 80's I had a truck with a B&M blower and Holley 650 and kept spinning out the connecting rod bearings.
I don't want to do the same thing here.

Two main types of mods:

1.) Muffler mod
2.) Engine porting

Muffler mods are much easier. They're also much less expensive to replace if you fubar one.

Do a search at Arboristsite.

Simple things like muffler mods shouldn't negatively impact the overall life of the saw. Usually a muffler modification is cheap or free (except for labor ;) ) so it's up to you if it's "worth it". Lots of info over on AS about this kind of stuff but you may have to ask/look hard to find info for the MS311.

I have a 1 year old ms311. 1 more year and I will be off warranty and looking at mods. Other wise great saw and flawless for the last year and at least 12 cord.

I ran into the same thing, a lack of detailed instructions. Mostly my problem was with removing the carb adjustement limiters. The old saws which are often the topic of threads are different than the new saws. Even a modern 290 vs. an old screw cap version.

Be sure that you can adjust the carb before you begin cutting holes in your muffler.

Status
Not open for further replies.