How do I remove/inspect convection blower on Quadrafire Castile insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wyovino

Feb 7, 2011
Long Island, NY
Hi,

Quadrafire Castile Insert

My son accidently dropped something (a metal coil spring) down one of the heat exchanger tubes. I wasn't there but he said it made a loud noise so he shut the unit down. I'm guessing it got jammed in the convection blower. I have the stove out and the left side panel off and can see the blowers. I removed the wing nut holding the blower unit to the bottom of the shell. What else do I have to do to pull out and inspect the blowers and/or tubes?

Regards,

Bill

My heart goes out to you since I have the same stove and know it is a MAJOR PITA to do anything to it!!!!! I read the directions (haven't had mine out yet) and it says that wingnut should be removed by the installer! Mine is still there too. It also says that the blower is held in place by a magnet so that is probably what is making you think something else is holding it down. It might be one of these new hi-tech magnets so give it a good pull. Please post back as I will be pulling mine out at the end of the season to clean and inspect to see if it has ball bearings. If it does, I'll replace them just to be sure I'm ready for a couple more years. Same with the combustion blower.

Thanks for the quick reply!

It is just a magnet holding it in place (after the phantom wing nut). You need to tilt the blower unit up and then pull out. There is a stop that prevents the unit from coming out straight back.

I was able to pull out the mangled spring. Hopefully everything will work when I get it back together.

Update: The stove is working but I don't like the sound of the blower. I'm going to order a new one.

Thanks again.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.