How do you keep track of periodic maintenance of gear?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
For years I have used the owner's manual for my truck (and my boat) to write down when I performed maintenance activities like oil changes, air/gas filters, differential lube changes, etc. I need to keep it written down as I'll forget what I did and when and worry it needs to be done again soon if not. As the toys in the garage multiply I find I have more and more maintenance to record. I'm talking about things like maintenance on my generator, chain saw, garden tractor and other assorted power equipment.

Heck, part of the problem is forgeting to write it down because something will distract me between doing the work in the garage and finding a few minutes to dig out my owners manual from my files. I'm thinking of creating a notebook and keeping it in the garage - much easier (for me) to jot it down. Curious what others do. I get a lot of good ideas here.

Thanks!

Our school district did a reno project and ripped out some huge aluminum framed black boards. I snagged one out of the dumpster. I'd guess it's 5'Hx18' L. Screwed it to the wall of my shop. Love it.

I write it in the owners manual. I keep mine filed in the garage for easy access.

Dry wipe boards for L.O.F and note books for more detail stuff.

I change all my oil and filters every fall on every thing . Most of my equipment gets used year round .
Nothing really need to be change twice a year ( I don't use the equipment that much ) But every one agrees change oil every year.
I change my hydraulic fluid every 2 years . Air filters get cleaned after every job .

I keep track of everything in an Excel workbook. Each piece of equipment has it's own sheet where I can keep track of dates, parts, type of oils and price. That way I know how much each thing is costing me on an ongoing basis. Having a PC in the shop makes life easy. Look up parts online too.

'bert

Status
Not open for further replies.