How Do You Like Your HI300 - Might Order One By The Weekend

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I think I can get the rebate if I do.
I looked at one in detail after work today, as well as its sister Regency unit, the I2400.
Really liked what I saw. Rectangular firebox, 18" deep, 2.3 ft3. Seems huge compared to the Quad 2700i.
I got an estimate.

Might have to use the oversized faceplate-is that an expensive option?
How does it work in a power outage?
Is the door latch rugged? It looks to be.

How's it working out for you?

I'm in my forth burn season and all I can say this stove is well built and pleasent to look at. The only one problem I had, and it was not a manufacture defect, was a cracked baffle. The chimney sweep didn't take it out before cleaning and he hit it.

As far as using the stove without the blower during a power outage... Simply remove the top surround peice and load carefully and shut down the air all the way. I say carefully because a full load of real dry wood (like oak or black birtch) may get too hot without the blower on. If you have a block off plate, even better. You will get plenty of radiant heat from the stove top bellowing out. As a matter of fact, I have my top surround removed for a good part of the winter as it allows more heat into the room.

Well, I did it.
They're going to install the hearth redo, so it'll be more or less turnkey minus some trim.
Have to pick out tile.
I'm psyched!

I've had mine for two seasons now and I can say I am very happy with it. The only thing I would change would be to insist on a block off plate, but I didn't know better at the time.
Jim

velvetfoot said:
Well, I did it.
They're going to install the hearth redo, so it'll be more or less turnkey minus some trim.
Have to pick out tile.
I'm psyched!

Congrats! Be sure to post progress pics!

Ray

Nice stove selection. Regency is a great company. I may be out of the loop here, but how are you managing the rebate with a 2012 installation? I've had my head in the sand for 4 months or so.

stejus said:
I'm in my forth burn season and all I can say this stove is well built and pleasent to look at. The only one problem I had, and it was not a manufacture defect, was a cracked baffle. The chimney sweep didn't take it out before cleaning and he hit it.

As far as using the stove without the blower during a power outage... Simply remove the top surround peice and load carefully and shut down the air all the way. I say carefully because a full load of real dry wood (like oak or black birtch) may get too hot without the blower on. If you have a block off plate, even better. You will get plenty of radiant heat from the stove top bellowing out. As a matter of fact, I have my top surround removed for a good part of the winter as it allows more heat into the room.

Yes, this stove top seems to get too hot too easily, I do not think I would ever run mine with out the blower. Over all, I like mine.

Thanks all.

Ooops. I guess I did miss the Regency 150 rebate by a week. Oh well. I'm still psyched!

And, the little woman isn't totally pissed at me. :)

It sounds like my Quad. I only operate it w/o a fan in a power outage, and then very carefully (small load, low air.)

Don't you have good control with the air lever? The one-rod as opposed to the Quad's two-rod air control concept will take some getting used to.

velvetfoot said:
Thanks all.

Ooops. I guess I did miss the Regency 150 rebate by a week. Oh well. I'm still psyched!

And, the little woman isn't totally pissed at me. :)

It sounds like my Quad. I only operate it w/o a fan in a power outage, and then very carefully (small load, low air.)

Don't you have good control with the air lever? The one-rod as opposed to the Quad's two-rod air control concept will take some getting used to.

The Hampton has one air control. Full loads are really the only time the fire can get out of control. As with any stove, never load and walk away. I usually take about 45 minutes to shut a full load down. Sometimes I close it too soon and start over again.

Thanks.

The stove still isn't installed. We picked up some black granite tiles for the hearth. They're going to come out Tuesday and look at the setup and take measurements.

I'm not getting an oversized surround. They are fabbing a black steel faceplate to cover the gap. This way the existing tile won't be covered excessively and it should look better.

We stopped by today and looked the Regency I2400 and the HI300 side by side.
While the HI300 is the better looking stove, I have a couple of concerns about the door on the HI300.
It uses a lever instead of the usual cam, like the I2400. The thing is, the door is brought in tight as the lever is depressed, but then as it goes into the bottom slot detent, it loosens. It failed the dollar bill test. I was assured the door would be adjusted before it gets delivered. I just wonder if it's a flaw that others have noticed? The normal cam on the I2400 snugged it up nice and tight.

Another thing about the door is that the hidden hinges don't allow more than a 90 degree opening. Opening it farther could be helpful, since I have touched my forehead to the stove door a couple of times in 6 years, so I'm hoping it doesn't happen more. :)

On a positive note about the door, the hinges seem to provide a 1" reduction in protrusion into the room. It also looks good.

The fan assembly on the HI300 also appeared to be less intrusive than on the I2400.

The HI300's cast iron surround looks great, and I like the fact that the top cast ledge and top surround piece can be easily removed, not only for heat (not sure if I'll actually do that, except in a power outage), but for looking at stuff in there.

It appears the fan assembly removes easily for cleaning and inspection.

I wonder if I will miss a variable fan speed control, as the HI300 only has low and high?

Anyway, I'm still psyched and I hope the wait's not too long.

Are you replacing the Quadrafire 2700i and if so why? That appears to be a pretty nice looking insert and I am just curious why you'd replace it..

Ray

I have no problems with the 2700i - it's been great, and you can put a pretty good amount of wood in there.
The firebox on the HI300 is bigger and you can load wood north to south.
It's going into a zero clearance fireplace and I think this is about the biggest that can fit.

velvetfoot said:
I have no problems with the 2700i - it's been great, and you can put a pretty good amount of wood in there.
The firebox on the HI300 is bigger and you can load wood north to south.
It's going into a zero clearance fireplace and I think this is about the biggest that can fit.

Oh OK that makes sense.. You should be able to recuperate some moolah selling the Quadrafire 2700i unless Kenny is around lol. He'd probably get it for 50 bucks and you'd load it into his truck! :lol:

Ray

Lol. I'm sure it'll be fun selling the old one.

On another note, I think I'm going to try to take out the old hearth extension and put in a replacement flush granite tile setup myself.
I really like the flush look. If I screw up, I can go with the turnkey approach of putting it on top.

velvetfoot said:
Lol. I'm sure it'll be fun selling the old one.

On another note, I think I'm going to try to take out the old hearth extension and put in a replacement flush granite tile setup myself.
I really like the flush look. If I screw up, I can go with the turnkey approach of putting it on top.

I like the look of flush myself and it's probably the hardest to achieve. I settled on low profile on my hearth renovation. Eventually we will replace the carpet and it may be semi-flush with new padding up to the oak trim.. Good luck on the install and be sure to keep us posted on the progress!

Ray

I managed to put in the granite tile hearth floor extension in yesterday.
Nearly, but not quite, flush.
(This is still my old insert.)
The new one will have a support step fabbed by the stove shop, also faced in black granite tile.
Hoping everything goes smooth.

Attachments

• IMGP1304.jpg
    IMGP1304.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 315
Wow that looks excellent! Look forward to the new insert install with the granite!

Ray

Hey, inaugural post on the new forum.

They installed it this morning. I think it turned out great. Big firebox compared to the Quad 2700i, far as I can tell. Will do break-in fires this weekend.
IMGP1341.JPG

Reactions: Backroads
Beautiful hearth and heater.

Off to throw another beer can at my ugly hearth...

Status
Not open for further replies.