How do you move your wood (backyard style)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
As a relatively new wood stacker, I found myself re-handling and moving splits more than I should. As of now, I use the econoline wheelbarrow from Home Depot. I'd eventually like to get myself a yard cart or a firewood hauler that could hold and transport more wood. What do you guys use? Pics please.

I store my rounds right next to the shed and when split I toss'em into the shed and stack them. No hauling necessary.
I don't create single row stacks for drying and them move a second time in the fall like some do here. Not saying that is wrong but I found I don't need to.

Woody:

Attachments

• woodwagon2sm.jpg
    woodwagon2sm.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 875
I hear ya kettensage but I will definitely need one to bring the firewood from the stacks that are in the left corner of the yard to the backdoor porch.

Heres mine.

Attachments

• wood hauler.jpg
    wood hauler.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 919
Rcrozier said:
As a relatively new wood stacker, I found myself re-handling and moving splits more than I should. As of now, I use the econoline wheelbarrow from Home Depot. I'd eventually like to get myself a yard cart or a firewood hauler that could hold and transport more wood. What do you guys use? Pics please.

This is our setup, even with chains on the front & back tires it can be tough going in the foothills of the Adirondacks.

Zap

Attachments

• 100_2462.jpg
    100_2462.jpg
    180.6 KB · Views: 896
LoL at the bumper sticker!!

When you're done with her, send her my way...I'm already behind.

At my parent's place, I use a regular old wagon to haul wood to & from the wood pile, splitting area, & the outdoor chimenea (their only wood-burning "appliance").

Down at my place in Big Sky, I don't have a big enough yard space to need something to haul wood with. ;)

lawn tractor and a trailer like this one. Or a wheel barrow.

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 814
I use a wheelbarrow most of the time. But for big jobs, I'll hook up either my atv or lawn tractor
to either a small trailer or larger trailer, depending on how much wood I have to move.

Depends how hard I want to work.
Utility trailer (5'x10'x12" high) holds apprx. 1/3 cord. The other trailer is a 17 cu. ft. Brinley from the Depot that holds about 1/6 cord.
Both pulled by my garden tractor. RARELY do I use the wheelbarrow, although I did that earlier this year with a couple Spruce I bucked up.

Jags said:

Dang it Jags I was disapointed that I did't see you pulling something behind that avator looking think there :zip:

cptoneleg said:
Jags said:

Dang it Jags I was disapointed that I did't see you pulling something behind that avator looking think there :zip:

I didn't want to show off. :coolsmile:

Jags said:
cptoneleg said:
Jags said:

I didn't want to show off. :coolsmile:

its also a bad idea to put wood too close to any vehicle powered by dark matter. Jags is all about safety,safety,safety.

I also use a wheelbarrow. If I need to move alot, I back the pickup to the stacks and load it up.

ATV and trailer for moving wood to stacking areas and to the barn for the winter. I keep 5 cord in the barn, and use a wheelbarrow to bring 2 weeks worth of wood, usually every other Friday, into a small room off the attached garage. Works very well and only takes about 1.5-2 hours to get the 2 weeks worth moved. I'm not busting my arse to get it done quickly. I line up a few Molson's in the snow and take my time......Cheers!

This is our main wood hauler. We also will use a Garden Way cart which is a 2 wheeled cart we've had for about 30 years.

Haulingwood-1.jpg

This is our new atv with the wood hauler. This is the start of our splitting stack we did this year.

Splittingpile12-29a.jpg

And this is a load of kindling coming in.

Newkindlig.jpg

basswidow said:
I also use a wheelbarrow. If I need to move alot, I back the pickup to the stacks and load it up.
Are we the only ones that actually use our trucks?

Loco Gringo said:
basswidow said:
nope

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 673
Picked-up a lil yellow wagon like this one at Lowes this spring. Liking it so far. It'll haul a decent amount of weight & spreads it over 4 wheels so I hope to make less ruts than with a wheel barrow.

Attachments

• wagon.jpg
    wagon.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 625
I learned along time ago not to move splits. I only move logs and split at the final location. Then during the season I use an electric golf cart to move wood to the house.

Loco Gringo said:
basswidow said:

I use my truck for moving big piles too. Usually just the wheelbarrow for the exercise, but if I'm in a hurry I cna toss a quick 1/3 cord in the truck and back it right up to within 10 feet of the basement doors.

Excellent replies guys. Man, some of you have some really nice hookups. I think I'll start with something like the yellow wagon.

Currently, with lawn tractor and a tow behind cart, wheel barrel only when I have to. But that only gets it from splitting area to stacking area, which is on my driveway so I wait till fall so the driveway isn't shrunken during the summer. I'm working on a design for moving wood from my splitting area where it gets stacked, to the garage during burning season. I'm taking a pallet and putting 2 boards on each side about 5 feet high then two more boards across the top, connecting the side boards to the ones on the other sides (creates an upside down U). I should be able to fit half cord per pallet. Next, I need to order some pallet forks that attach to the bucket on my father in laws bucket loader. When its time he will come over and transport them into the garage fork lift style. This way I only stack once and even the kids can do it because the side boards allow for simple parallel stacking. Anybody try something like this?

Rcrozier said:
What do you guys use? Pics please.

One or the other... ;)

Attachments

• both_atvs.jpg
    both_atvs.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 518
Status
Not open for further replies.