How far ahead are you on the wood pile

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
Lately I've seen several posts about folks getting ahead with their wood piles and that really pleases me to see these guys doing what should be done. I hope new wood burners take notice and realize that if they can get to the point of being 2 to 3 years ahead on wood that they will actually use less wood and get more heat from the wood they have. They will also have the added benefit of easier starting fires and cleaner chimneys. And let us not forget the immense satisfaction one gets when he sees all that wood stacked up. He has done the work and has sweat and sometimes gotten sore muscles but then you know that you have provided fuel to heat your home to keep you and your family comfortable even if the price of gas and oil gets super high....which it will.

So some are curious about how much wood I have on hand. It is more than I expected to have this year because I did not cut as much this year and even sold some. One fellow still claims he is coming after some but we'll see. Here is what we have left:

Cut this year. 5 3/4 cord:

Wood-2010d.gif

Cut last year. 9 cord, which is down to about 8.5

Woodfrom2009.gif

Older wood. 5.6 cord

Olderwood2010.gif

So this year I am a bit under 20 cords on hand. That is between 6 and 7 years of fuel on hand right now. The oldest wood is either 6 or 7 years in the stack.

Dennis your firewood stacks are always so nice and neat!

Right now I have my usual 5+ years/25+ real cord on hand. I was able to make firewood all winter this year, so kept up with the demand, and then some, as I sold it and burned it.

Dennis I still have til April 30th at midnight! lol

Well, I have just over 4 cords stacked for 10/11. It's a mix of Maple and Cherry that I cut and split in August and September and some Ash cut and split in the Fall. I have about 1 cord of Red Oak split and stacked for 11/12 and about 2 more quartered to be split ASAP. I also have about 1 cord of Maple and Ash to split for 11/12. I know I am a lightweight compared to you guys, but I am further ahead than I have ever been. There is more Red Oak on the ground near me, I just need some time to get what I have split, stacked, and out of the way so I can bring more home. 60 and 70 hour work weeks are not conducive to wood scrounging and processing but I do what I can. I haven't even had time to take pictures of my 11/12 stack yet. It looks a lot like the 9/10 one did. :)

I've got 10 cords on site and another 4 off, with 2 of those still needing to be split. Then, I've got 4 very bushy apple trees to take down. Probably more trouble than they are worth but it still gives me an excuse to get out cutting.

I had a neighbor take down a silver maple in his front yard and see that he still has the trunk laying there and looks to be at least 40" in diameter so I stopped by to offer to cut it up for him (as this will give me a chance to give the 7901 and 28" bar to work).

But, as I pulled up I see that they had filled in the hollows in the trunk with something that I am quite sure it is not chainsaw friendly. Oh,well.

wendell said:
I've got 10 cords on site and another 4 off, with 2 of those still needing to be split. Then, I've got 4 very bushy apple trees to take down. Probably more trouble than they are worth but it still gives me an excuse to get out cutting.

I had a neighbor take down a silver maple in his front yard and see that he still has the trunk laying there and looks to be at least 40" in diameter so I stopped by to offer to cut it up for him (as this will give me a chance to give the 7901 and 28" bar to work).

But, as I pulled up I see that they had filled in the hollows in the trunk with something that I am quite sure it is not chainsaw friendly. Oh,well.

that 79 will eat the crap out of a 40iner.

Not exactly sure since I'm still working on my 2012/2013 wood. I currently have 12-13 cords split and stacked, with another 2 or 3 that need to be split. Should put me 3 years ahead if I can ever catch up.

That means I've processed around 20 cords since last spring to get ahead! :bug:

smokinjay said:
that 79 will eat the crap out of a 40iner.

The wood yes. The cement, no.

I've definitely taken the advice of the experts and cut the heck out of the available wood I ran across during the past 18 months. Right now, just shy of 20 cord c/s/s. Five cord of ash (with some cherry and birch) ready for next year, 6 cord of red oak and sugar maple for 2011/2012, same for 2012/1013, and up to 3 cord of red oak, beech, and sugar maple for 2013/2014 - will have a full 5 by end of summer. Can't wait to get at the red oak and sugar maple mix after 3 years seasoning - it should be a lot of fun to burn! Nice pics Dennis - as soon as I clean up my stacking areas, I'll post mine! Cheers!

All I have to say is wow! I can't say I have the 25, 20, or even 10 cords people have on hand here. I haven been meaning to measure what I do have split and stacked. Anywhere between 4-5 cords. I always remember a tread I read when I first starting burning...Take as much firewood that you think you will use and double it. I have always reminded myself of that when splitting and boy is it ever true!

well i am stressed, i have a little over 4.5 tht was cut split stacked in nov 09 about 3/4 of a cord of that was in the round for 2yrs and is really dry now, but it is for 11/12 season. i have about 1.5 cords for 12/13, but can only fit a total of 3 cords in the space so i am in a little trouble.... problem is for this year... i only have about 2 cords of oak ready to go, about a cord of pine, and about 1/2 a cord of oak/hickory in 4-8 inch rounds... This past winter i burned about 4 cords (a new little one so wife was home the entire winter) so as you can see this year might be cutting it close as this will be a bad winter for us in the NE! gotta get wood for this year!

Last winter I scrounged up around 4 to 5 cords of wood. This winter I have stacked more like 7 to 8 cords. In total, I have about 12 cords of firewood, comprising six 8 ft diameter, approximately 5 1/2 ft tall holz hausen and some extra wood for the next HH. This should mean I am more than two years ahead, maybe three. I am planning to meet a friend and drop 6 or 7 trees on Sunday.

Many thanks to you and the rest of the good advice here. This winter, I started burning much drier fuel and went from my usual 10-12 cord to 7-8 cord. While the new stove and tightening up the house was part of it, I think a lot of it was the fuel.

I have 8 cord under the roof that will be a minimum of a year and a half split by the start of next season, 9 cord split in the heap, about a cord to split and Spring scrounging is in full swing.

quads thinks my wood piles are nice and neat but this year I thought I did a terrible job. Respectable but not the best. I blame it on all the hurting I've been going through. But I'm not going to re-stack it!

Some of you folks know some of the problems I had this past winter and I cut very little wood after mid to late January. I'm still fighting some of those problems but was able to get the splitting and stacking done. Most folks when they came for firewood loaded their own. When rdust came I tried to help all I could and then we took a walk in our woods. I doubt he knows just how much of a struggle that was for me but I tried to keep up. Oh how I wish I could work like he does once again (he's a good man) but I'm afraid those days are done. I'll still get things done but slowly.

This is a good point to bring up for some people. I am a few years ahead in firewood (and take some kidding about that too) and probably would not have to cut or split even one piece for another 7 years if need be. Sometimes life deals us a difficult hand and many examples can be given. Just look at Gooserider for example. When I look at myself, there have been many years that I could not work in the woods too. A few years back I laid in the hospital for 2 months and they had given me up for dead and told my wife that too. I fooled them. I was badly injured many years ago and am still fighting that. But it is just these things that people have to prepare for just in case it could happen to them.

I know also with my age that things can creep up on anyone. Sure, I've had many, many offers from friends and relatives telling they could come in on a weekend and get me enough wood to last the whole winter. I do not doubt that at all either. They could and my wife could cook up one whale of a meal and furnish much drink too. But it is still better to do it yourself if at all possible. So, I have many years wood ahead.....just in case. With this much ahead I also can afford to help the less fortunate folks. I can help out people like rdust who came after a cord of wood and I think he got a bit extra (but I still probably charged him too much). It does give me a good feeling when I can help other folks. Besides, I love the wood cutting and all that comes with it.

SmokingJay: April is going fast! Get it done before the bugs get to you.

Steve: You are doing just fine. Keep at it.

Wendell: You too are doing just fine. Keep at it.

NH_Wood: You have just about the ideal situation now. You won't have to work as hard from this point on. Just keep replacing what you burn.

BucksCounty: You had some good advice. First work on doubling. When you get 2-3 years ahead, then you start replacing and won't have to work as hard.

Iceman: To heck with the stress! It sounds like you are doing things well. Space can be a problem unless you can find a spot to store the wood until you need it. Sometimes we have to work with what we have and make do. That is tough though when you have oak!

Wood Duck: You have done well. I'm still not sure about those HH stacks though.

SolarAndWood: You sir have followed some good advice and are reaping the benefits! I wish more would take to heart what you have done. Keep up the good work.

Backwoods Savage said:
quads thinks my wood piles are nice and neat but this year I thought I did a terrible job. Respectable but not the best. I blame it on all the hurting I've been going through. But I'm not going to re-stack it!

SmokingJay: April is going fast! Get it done before the bugs get to you.

Steve: You are doing just fine. Keep at it.

Wendell: You too are doing just fine. Keep at it.

NH_Wood: You have just about the ideal situation now. You won't have to work as hard from this point on. Just keep replacing what you burn.

SolarAndWood: You sir have followed some good advice and are reaping the benefits! I wish more would take to heart what you have done. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Dennis and best wishes for shaking those ills! Cheers!

Dennis -

We're working though about 5 cords still splitting and stacking. Figuring to have it in by mid-May for atotal of 10-12 cords on hand. There are more Ash that need to come down, but I donated a few unsplit cords to a nieghbor that's out of work.

It will be tougher when the Ash are gone and I'm not getting calls to "Please come by and see if you can take this tree!!" I don't think I've hauled any further than 2 miles in the past year.

ATB,
Mike

I never cease to be amazed by what a lot of you guys accomplish. If only I had the space and a lot more time....

Right now I've got about a cord in the shed and another 1-1.5 cord that's a mix of some "seasoned" oak I bought in the fall and the dead apple tree I cut up in Nov. All of its is around ~30% still so I'm re-stacking it looser hoping it will make it this fall. I'm working on making space to buy and stack 1-2 cord more to start working on 11/12.

Luckily we only supplement with wood. If I were heating full time on it I'd be in trouble....

Your stacks are so nice and neat Dennis.

I Have two year worth split and stacked and have a pile of rounds waiting to get split. the rounds should put close to 4 years ahead. I don't have the space to stack anymore so the pile of rounds will just continue to grow until i can start to burn my stacked wood. This winter was my first year burning, i started with half of a cord from my parents back in September. From 9/09 until now i have c/s/s 13 cords (burnt 3 of those cords this winter) and have another 8 or so cords in rounds waiting to get split.

I've taken the Hearth.com advise to heart and since January my father, family friend and I have c/s/s approximatley 10.5 cords

Dad: 4 cords on hand (he is burning older Sierra, is used to cutting Jan/Fe and burning in fall) I'm working on him to get 3 years ahead - did 2 cords

FF: 4 cords on hand is is close to 3 years ahead- did 2.5 cords

Chilly: 5.5 cords on hand - did 5 cords 2.5 water oak/2.5 pecan

my friend the 'Pecan Man' told me Sunday that he has 80 'Pabst' variety trees that he wants to take out of the grove. Looks like we'll have all the wood we can process for a couple years (decades?)! Will try and take some photos of the standing trees to give an idea of whats out there. These are all 80 year + trees.

Dennis - I can hardly wait until all the wood I burn looks like your last photo of "older" wood. This is year 2 burning for me and this years wood was much better than last years. Next season will be 100% wood that has had 2 full summers c/s/s and I'm hoping for even more noticable improvements in the burn. I currently have atleast 3 years C/S/S with 16 cord on hand. Wood processing season is just about over for me and I will only take on wood that falls in my lap until we hit Sept, then I'll start back up. I'll probably have a couple more cords processed before I start burning again in the fall. Its money in the bank... as you said, you never know what life will bring.

Backwoods Savage said:
When rdust came I tried to help all I could and then we took a walk in our woods. I doubt he knows just how much of a struggle that was for me but I tried to keep up. Oh how I wish I could work like he does once again (he's a good man) but I'm afraid those days are done. I'll still get things done but slowly.

Dennis you kept up fine, I kept thinking to myself "Dennis aggravated his back just recently on that stump, I can't believe how well he's getting along." So you did a great job of hiding the discomfort/pain! :)

Backwoods Savage said:
I can help out people like rdust who came after a cord of wood and I think he got a bit extra (but I still probably charged him too much). It does give me a good feeling when I can help other folks. Besides, I love the wood cutting and all that comes with it.

Yep, it was around 1 1/3 cords! You didn't charge me too much, for properly seasoned wood at that time of the year I felt like I was stealing from you. I'm still burning that wood now and it'll give me some great wood to start off with next season.

I'm up to 10 cords total, but then I only started last August. I got a late start because I didn't think I would find an insert that would fit my little fireplace. This morning I cut up a silver maple branch that fell this winter. It's as green as they come. I don't have a lot of room to store too far in the future, but there is so much wood available that I'm having a hard time stopping. I start to get the shakes just thinking about it. . .just kidding! I will try to get ahead a second year as that makes a lot of sense when it comes to cleaner burns, but will likely take some time to fish this year!

Backwoods Savage said:
Lately I've seen several posts about folks getting ahead with their wood piles and that really pleases me to see these guys doing what should be done. I hope new wood burners take notice and realize that if they can get to the point of being 2 to 3 years ahead on wood that they will actually use less wood and get more heat from the wood they have. They will also have the added benefit of easier starting fires and cleaner chimneys. And let us not forget the immense satisfaction one gets when he sees all that wood stacked up. He has done the work and has sweat and sometimes gotten sore muscles but then you know that you have provided fuel to heat your home to keep you and your family comfortable even if the price of gas and oil gets super high....which it will.

So some are curious about how much wood I have on hand. It is more than I expected to have this year because I did not cut as much this year and even sold some. One fellow still claims he is coming after some but we'll see. Here is what we have left:

Cut this year. 5 3/4 cord:

Wood-2010d.gif

Cut last year. 9 cord, which is down to about 8.5

Woodfrom2009.gif

Older wood. 5.6 cord

Olderwood2010.gif

So this year I am a bit under 20 cords on hand. That is between 6 and 7 years of fuel on hand right now. The oldest wood is either 6 or 7 years in the stack.

Do you mind if I ask You . That last pic, what would you think the moisture reading would be? 10-15%?

BW Savage, I am also not sure about the HH stacks for drying wood, but they look nice and stand up on their own. That means I can conveniently stack wood in the most open, windy, sunny part of the yard, which I think makes up for the 8 ft thick HH keeping a lot of the wood on the inside, not well exposed to the air. The nice thing about being three years ahead is I don't have to worry about quick drying, one way or the other the wood will be nice and dry when i get around to burning it.

Monkey Wrench said:
Do you mind if I ask You . That last pic, what would you think the moisture reading would be? 10-15%?

I don't think Dennis owns a meter, when you're that far ahead you know it'll be good by the time you need it. I picked up a cord + from him a while back and I split a piece for kicks, it was around 18% but it wasn't from his oldest stacks. I think it's hard to get much below 15% in this state.

Status
Not open for further replies.