How I stack

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveH9

Jun 11, 2009
NW CT
I now am stacking 2013's wood. Small 8" dia maple, the 2nd harvest from my small wood lot. Now that's sustainability! We let these grow.

I stack on pallets, placed on bricks or rocks. 3 pieces one way, 3 pieces the other way. Always being sure that the middle piece is smallest of the 3, that way the next layer won't teeter. I set a column on each corner of the pallet and build the whole pallet as i go. That way each piece can be stacked best. If I build one column at a time, I only have 3 choices, one side,middle or the other side. By building the four columns (or more) at once there are lots of options to get nice level stable columns. I fill in between the columns with odd ball size and small stuff, or add small columns of shorties. I go about 5 feet high and cover with 2 tarps, the oldest tarp on top to protect the newer one. And place scrap board or 4 foot 2" branches on top. I always keep the pile covered from green to 2 years seasoned. I stash nice caches of kinlding in between the towers, nice to have when there is 4 feet of snow. I try to use every btu from every tree, I don't burn any brush but stack it and break it up when brittle. If I cut with the leaves are on the trees, I fell them and leave the leaves and branches on, an old timer told me that the drying of the leaves will suck the moisture out of the wood.

I sneak out the middle pieces in the towers first, not upsetting the pile or the tarps. Then I go from one end to the other. If snow or rain is forecast I fill a log ring on the porch, covered by a small sheet of plastic held with a spring clamp.

Good exercise, money savings, and stewardship, plus fun.

DaveH9, nice work on getting ahead on your wood and yes it looks like you're a wood - a - holic. :vampire:

GIBIR

It is great that you are getting ahead on the wood.

On the drying of the tree and the leaves soaking up the moisture. We've tried it and have never noticed a difference. I used to believe it but now think it is just one more of those old wives tales. When you consider how much moisture is in a tree, there is now way the leaves would make enough difference that you would notice. So cutting, splitting and stacking will dry just as fast.

One excellent example would be to consider some of the trees that are really high moisture, like the cottonwoods, popple, willow, etc. Although those are high moisture trees, once you get them cut and split, they dry out amazingly fast. On the other had, take oak. There is a lot of moisture but not to the extent of the others, yet it takes oak a long, long time to dry out.

I was never this far ahead until I was out of work for a spell. Now I'm determined to stay ahead. No dropping standing deadwood in the February snow and wind, at least not for the next couple years at least.....

Status
Not open for further replies.