How long before ash becomes punky

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
I've posted one picture in another thread Ash thread but thought it might be good to start a new thread about it too.

3 years ago last October I cut down a few ash trees. We don't usually cut then but we had an idiot who gained permission to hunt on some adjoining land. That land is over 100 acres and no homes on it; in fact, it is land locked. Our line happens to be a creek. We had found several times when he hung a tree stand right close to the creek so that the only shot he could have possibly taken would have been on our property. I was not nasty but politely left him a message on the tree stand informing him that although his stand was indeed not on our property, he was not welcome to hunt my land and that is the only possible place he could shoot and I suggested to keep peace he might consider moving his stand.

Later I caught him on our place and then I was not quite so peaceful. Then another neighbor found him on our place and told him to leave because he knew for certain I did not want him there. This time I called him on his phone and laid it right out on what the outcome would be should we find him on our place again. Then the following year we spotted his stand again right on the edge of the creek. Okay, what to do? He is not on our place but the only shot again would have been on our place.

One afternoon I was in a tree stand when I looked to the south and could see him driving in the field on his way to hunt. Ah ha! I called the wife and told her if she was not comfortable to not do anything but I would simply go for a walk....right past his stand but on our property. She said she'd do it gladly so away she went. Leaf fall was in progress so it was easy to make noise when walking and sure enough, as soon as he heard her he stood and was ready for a shot. My wife made sure her presence was known and he sat down. She then informed him he was in position to violate and we would not stand for it. The next night the same thing happened.

Well, we heat with wood and wood has to be cut. So, for the next week I did not hunt during the evening but instead, cut some trees that needed to come down. They just happened to be right across the creek from said stand. That was the last time he hunted there!

But, that was 3 years ago last fall and I somehow had forgotten the wood and had not even got that one tree fully cut up. After the other post about ash turning punky I thought it might be good to go get some of that wood that I had cut especially being as how that wood is in a wet spot and gets practically no sunshine. Here are some pictures I took.

Oldash-1.gif

Oldash-2.gif

Splitash-1.gif

As you can see, some were wet inside. But, none were punky as I could not find a soft spot in them. With them being wet inside I suspect they would start turning punky very soon but they will make good firewood right now.

As I've said before, ash will last probably as long or longer than any other wood when it has been laying on the ground. Just one more reason to like ash.

The ash score I got was not as great as I had hoped, some of it is pretty punky but I can salvage most of it.

fv

I've found the same. For my climate, 3 years is about it for ash, I've had other woods make it 4 with little to no rot. Lots of variables but the way I see it if it's cut already, might as well check. If it's good it's good.

If were were cutting and planning. I'd be on a 2 year schedule. If I'm cleaning up after loggers, I'll take it for as long as it will last

pen

On the ground I simply don't worry about ash as it is usually still good firewood. In the stack I have no idea how long it will keep but it is much longer than most folks care to keep wood.

Ash ranks right up there as my favorite firewood, however Osage orange will out last them all and burns longer and hotter than them all. I've heard tell of OO posts lasting 50yrs in the ground.

wkpoor said:
Osage orange will out last them all and burns longer and hotter than them all. I've heard tell of OO posts lasting 50yrs in the ground.

Though my paternal Grandfather passed away almost 40 yrs ago & his 160 acre farm in NW Missouri has changed ownership at least 2 times & borders changed since then,I can still show you some hedge posts he set back in the early 30's that are not rotted.The barbed wire & staples will rust away & need replacing before the posts.Dad told me he preferred line posts minimum 6" diameter on small end,7 feet long & corner posts 9" on small end & 9 feet long.You dont see many straight ones in SW Iowa or NW Missouri either hah.Miles of that stuff still growing down there,not much is harvested anymore.Sadly if anything is done they just doze it out in a pile.

Status
Not open for further replies.