How long do I have to wait to play?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKS130

Minister of Fire
Oct 14, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Yesterday they installed our new Accentra freestanding stove with OAK. The tech told me to wait "till tomorrow" before turning on the stove, to allow the rtv to dry/cure.

Obviously we are anxious to fire the stove up, but are unsure when it is OK to do so. How long do I actually have to wait? The install was completed about 1PM. It is 43 degrees outside and 60 in the house. Sure would love to get this going. Besides, it is a new toy and I want to play.

P.S.: Irony of ironies: 20 minutes after the install crew left the oil truck pulled up and delivered 131.2 gallons $3.89.9 per gallon, for a total of $511, or about 2 tons of pellets. What is more, when I told the driver I hoped not to see him too much this year because of our new stove he replied that his father owns the company he drives for but, that he himself heats with pellets!

RKS130 said:
Yesterday they installed our new Accentra freestanding stove with OAK. The tech told me to wait "till tomorrow" before turning on the stove, to allow the rtv to dry/cure.

Obviously we are anxious to fire the stove up, but are unsure when it is OK to do so. How long do I actually have to wait? The install was completed about 1PM. It is 43 degrees outside and 60 in the house. Sure would love to get this going. Besides, it is a new toy and I want to play.

P.S.: Irony of ironies: 20 minutes after the install crew left the oil truck pulled up and delivered 131.2 gallons $3.89.9 per gallon, for a total of $511, or about 2 tons of pellets. What is more, when I told the driver I hoped not to see him too much this year because of our new stove he replied that his father owns the company he drives for but, the he himself heats with pellets!

Let her RIP!!! The cure time on high temp RTV is just a few hours. Enjoy!!!

Did the dealer do a pre-burn at the shop, or in your yard??? If not, open up your windows, gonna stink for a while.

Thanks . . . here goes nothing!

Be careful playing with these "toys" is a known cause of addiction. You will spend countless hours watching, cleaning and trying to improve. I have been addicted for three years. Almost forgot you will spend hours on this forum trying to see if anyone has a better approach to heating with pellets

Good luck and take some pics! You'll love heating with pellets as opposed to oil.

I'll second opening up a window or two as you'll get some odor from the curing process.

Pictures will be forthcoming. I took pics of about 75% of the project, but on my phone, so I have to get the right software to transfer them to the computer. Working on it.

Meanwhile, the stove is humming along and the house is warming up.

RKS130 said:
Pictures will be forthcoming. I took pics of about 75% of the project, but on my phone, so I have to get the right software to transfer them to the computer. Working on it.

Meanwhile, the stove is humming along and the house is warming up.

What type of phone. I have used several Blackberry's and now a Droid Bionic and no need for software. I just use the Picassa program to Import and then choose a folder to store. From there you csn make a copy of that pic in Windows Paint and then downsize that copy to be posted here. I had a hard go when I 1st started. Lots of Sideways pics. Took some time. I am in no way computer savvy either.

Just thought I would let you know.

Congrats on the stove. Be prepared for the sickness that follows. No matter where you go. You will be on the hunt for the ever elusive pellet....

Status
Not open for further replies.