How long do you let sealant cure?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blwells45

Sep 18, 2012
I was having problems with smokeback on startup and after reading through the forums, found I hadn't sealed the stove adapter properly. I hadn't put sealant on the inside of the stove adapter before I put it on the stove. So, I took it apart at lunch, and put the sealant in there, and put it back together. How long should I let it cure, before I fire? I used the red RTV sealant and it says that with 1 hour the sealant hardens on the outside. And within 24 hours, it is fully cured. Should I wait the 24 hours? Or should I be good to fire tonight?

Success!!!! Adding RTV to the INSIDE of the stove adapter plus the flashlight trick to find a few small leaks means no more smoke smell in the house. Not the prettiest of jobs. But, sealed up tight. I'll pretty it up when I do my end of season maintenance.

Reactions: smoke show
Status
Not open for further replies.