How Long For 16" Pine Rounds to Season???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BurnIt13

Minister of Fire
Jun 10, 2010
Central MA
I recently installed a stove and my wood is not ideal for burning. Its oak with moisture readings in the low 20's. I'm short on money and truly seasoned wood from a dealer is EXPENSIVE here, like $350+ a cord expensive. I found a guy close enough to me who is trying to sell some "seasoned" pine that he cut down 2 years ago. The rounds are 16" long but are not split.

If there is a chance its dryer than my oak I would like to mix it in. Does pine dry fairly quickly even when not split?

Thanks!

If the pine has been down for two years I would say it's more then ready to burn. Most wood only needs to set 1 year.

I have split older than 2 year old big pine, it was a little wet on the inside. Once split it dryed up very quickly.

Rex said:
If the pine has been down for two years I would say it's more then ready to burn. Most wood only needs to set 1 year.

Right....but its not split, thats why I was asking. :)

I'm wondering if it is worth the hassle of picking up and splitting for burning NOW.

Rex said:
I wouldn't pay much for pine.

$25 bucks or a case of beer....I can live with his demands. It is for a cord and a half.

if you need wood and don't have much money then I would say go for it. i would burn it if it was all i had. split or not split two years is a long time for pine to dry out.

BurnIt13 said:
I recently installed a stove and my wood is not ideal for burning. Its oak with moisture readings in the low 20's. I'm short on money and truly seasoned wood from a dealer is EXPENSIVE here, like $350+ a cord expensive. I found a guy close enough to me who is trying to sell some "seasoned" pine that he cut down 2 years ago. The rounds are 16" long but are not split.

If there is a chance its dryer than my oak I would like to mix it in. Does pine dry fairly quickly even when not split?

Thanks!
Low 20's oak is pretty good. Have you tried pallets. They are usually free, although labor intensive.

Get the pine, split it and stack it ASAP. If you put a fan on it for a week or so it'll wick a surprrising amount of moisture out of that wood.

Also check the local lumberyards for scraps and slabwood. Pallets are great too.

As possible, bring the split pine indoors near the stove for a few days. Check the MC before/after and note how quickly it drops.
It's really difficult to overheat it that way, but as the moisture leaves and the splits slowly warm up, watch their temp. Try not to let
it pass 180 F, temp of a "slow" kiln. (IR thermometers have many uses.)
You'll probably burn it before that's an issue.

mayhem said:
Get the pine, split it and stack it ASAP. If you put a fan on it for a week or so it'll wick a surprrising amount of moisture out of that wood.

Also check the local lumberyards for scraps and slabwood. Pallets are great too.

really...you don't think this pine is ready to go after sitting for 2 years? i agree with the split and stack asap but do you really think a fan is needed?

Ask if you can split one and have a look before buying

BurnIt13 said:
Rex said:
I wouldn't pay much for pine.

$25 bucks or a case of beer....I can live with his demands. It is for a cord and a half.

That sounds like a deal to me. I'd imediately split it, stack it with lots of space for air to move through, and you'll be able to get hot fires with it starting now. I am sure some of it is a lot drier than other rounds, so pay attention when you pick it up and separate the driest stuff for burning first. generally the stuff up off the ground is drier than the bottom of the pile.

I would guess the pine would be fine to burn. Your oak, in the low 20s, is in pretty good shape. Might split the oak down a little more. Throw some of it in once the pine gets going good. That should increase your burn times significantly.

Rex said:
mayhem said:

really...you don't think this pine is ready to go after sitting for 2 years? i agree with the split and stack asap but do you really think a fan is needed?

It might be if it were stacked horizontaly on pallets...split.

Rounds sitting on the ground are going to be wet. No way it will burn.

Split it, stack it on plallets, DEFINITELY TOP COVER IT, and it will burn O.K. in the spring.

If you get it at a good price, 16" would need split, for me anyway,
2 years, it's probably good to burn.
If in doubt, he's close enough, go get a few pieces & do a test burn. Then you know.
Pictures are good :)

Either way that is to good of a deal on the pine to pass up. I would buy that even if you burned it later. Also i have been burning oak in the low 20s for weeks and its working great for me. I'm sure next year with dryer will be better, but thats all i have for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.