how long should a stove last?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

magsf11

Feeling the Heat
Jan 31, 2009
buffalo ny
my stove is only going on the 4th season, hopefully many more to come, but how can you tell it is time for a replacement? Still new and learning a lot from everyone.

Mine's 10 years old and doing fine...

I had an old quadrafire 1000 series in my old townhouse. It lasted 12 plus years.....had to do some maintanance and new firepot once.....other then snap discs that was pretty good....now hoping for at least that with the tank errr I mean XXV! LOL

The one my parent's heat there house with in Maine, my Dad built in 1982 or 83. Still working fine.

I've only used about 15 bags of pellets so far in my quad sante fe I got last feb. I'm hoping I don't have any issues for years to come. I guess the most important thing is maintenance and keep it clean.

I'm starting my 3rd season with my stove and she still runs as well as it did on day 1. It all depends on maintenance. If you're as picky as I am and clean it more often than really necessary with a tear-down annual cleaning it could last 15 to 20 years or more. As parts wear you replace as necessary and until it literally rusts out somehow you should be set for some years to come.

I think a stove or insert can last many years providing you keep it clean and do regular maintenance on it. Im also on my third season with my Quad Castile insert, and its been working very well. I keep it clean, and in summer I try to make sure that moisture and humidity isnt causing any problems inside the firebox. In 3 years not I've only noticed a few tiny rust spots inside of it , and since then I now spray the inside of the fire box with high temperature Pam cooking spray.

I believe the biggest stove killer is rust . Humidity in the summer months can really do a job on your insert or stove and I believe in a thin coat of cooking oil such as Pam spray, it coats the steel, and in fall when you turn the stove on the heat will gradually remove the oil coating. I spray the interior of my fire box and I wipe it down with a rag, and a brush and it's still looking like new inside. I dont know how thick the firebox walls are on other stoves but on my Quad Castile insert the interior box is a very very thin steel so, keeping that in good shape should ensure the unit as a long life.

I have a 1994 Jamestown, or pretty close to it according to the previous owner. While I don't run it nonstop like they did, nor do I treat it as badly, I can still see it has many years left in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.