How long will baged pellets keep?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
Hello all. This year is my first year with my pellet stove, which is my back-up stove. I think I went over on buying pellets this fall, I bought one ton of pellets at 3.49 a bag plus tax. Well i only use this stove in the mornings to take the chill of the living room area. I have burned about 3 bags so far and 1 bag was just to burn the smell out of the stove. So how long will these pellets keep in my NOT heated garage? I do have them stacked in my step's going down to mid level of my family room. Thanks Fespo

I store mine in an unheated garage on a pallet and I usually have a few bags at the end of the winter that summer over to the next winter just fine.

I store mine in an unheated garage and have
often had a half ton in there to carry over to
the following year and have had zero problems.

I asked the same question a few months ago , and most responses were that they will keep for a long time as long as they don't collect any moisture.

Mine are in an unheated semi-dry carport under a dropcloth. No problems.

As long as you keep them off the concrete they will be fine for years.

Just keep em dry and dont stack them where moisture will get to em...(like on a concrete floor w/o a spacer)

off the floor , covered with waterproof covering, dont trust the plastic bag,it has micro holes all over it, and DRY. Should last years.

Status
Not open for further replies.