How many cord of wood are you burning?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snow4days

Aug 29, 2011
Mid Michigan
Just wondered how many cord of wood are being burned in gasification boilers. Also how many sq. ft. are you heating? Just trying to do some estimating on my house. Thanks

Snow4days said:
Just wondered how many cord of wood are being burned in gasification boilers. Also how many sq. ft. are you heating? Just trying to do some estimating on my house. Thanks

Its hard to say in a boiler, that all depends what you have it hooked up to, how long the run is from the boiler, etc.

I can tell you that I'm heating a 4k sf house on ~4 cord per year with an indoor high-efficiency fireplace.

A high-efficiency boiler would likely heat the same sf with 5 cords if you don't have a long run and your house is similar efficiency.

Add in domestic hot water, long run, unseasoned wood, etc and you may push that higher yet. I know a guy that heats his house, indoor pool, and domestic hot water and he burns nearly 20 cords of wood. But he doesn't season it and he burns well into spring and starts up pretty early in the fall (to heat the pool and hot water).

Depending on the winter, we do 3 or 4 cords from shoulder season to late spring. We're heating about 1,800 sq ft with an attic that has what I consider poor insulation.

I'm going to be on the high side of this graph, I suspect....
I have 3500 square feet to heat, but I have 8', 9', 10' and 22' ceilings! (It is a log kit home.)
And I pre-heat my domestic hot water, and we do keep the house fairly warm.
Oh - and I'm using about 1/2 softwood, which takes up a lot more room than my hardwood.

So - I'm acting like a guilty kid who keeps giving excuses and won't answer your question.
16. Okay, maybe 17.
But it's a great heat! It's going right now. Basement is warm and toasty. Water is hot and there's lots of it.
Happy burning!

Status
Not open for further replies.