How Many Have 2 Or More Stoves Going Today?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Finally some Winter weather here today, I was beginning to wonder after it hit 53 a couple days ago if we would even have Winter. 13 degrees with a stiff North wind called me to light off both rocks this morning after a few days of burning some gas. Felt good to take a couple days off from burning wood but feels so much better than the furnace during a real Winters day. Nice even heat throughout the whole house with 2 stoves burning. I've tried every which way to heat this place with one stove, blowing air upstairs, blowing down, extra floor grates and even trying the furnace fan. Nothing works as good as one properly sized stove on each level.

Color me jealous, still warm here, and about three weeks or more till the second stove gets hooked up. May miss this season altogether for two stoves at the rate its taking to do the full hvac replacment.
Then again when its done it maybe summer and id probably sitll light it off for testing.

We are doing the same drill with a one day delay. Let the stove burnout overnight during the rain. High 50's today but a high in the 30's tomorrow. Burning electrons today and will fire the stove in the morning for an extended run.

So yeah, I have two going today. Made by DeLonghi. :) Two going tomorrow will be ESW.

We only have one wood stove (that is actually IN the cottage, the "cone" is in our three season porch)...and I let it go cold overnight and didn't relight today. Supposed to get the cold weather beginning tomorrow. We'll light her up tonight and keep her running 24/7 until we hit high 30's/40's again. We do have a propane ventfree "fireplace" in the front room set for the lowest possible setting that will probably be running beginning tomorrow night or Saturday, once it gets into the lower 20's, and a little blue flame in the "utility area" where most of the plumbing is that we'll relight tomorrow (it will run even if it's in the 30's because it sits on concrete and that holds the cold so we shut the propane off on it when it's above the 20's). We have no other forms of heat.

If/when we add on, it will have backup/supplimental in the form of a Thelin...not sure if it will be a Gnome or Parlour, or if it will be DV or pellet yet. Depends on the size we can add on (*IF* we can add on) and if they will allow a pellet stove with an OAK in a garage.

Burning both of mine. Snowing, wind blowing 20 mph, temp is 19 and dropping, 11 tonight, single digits tomorrow night. Oh, 76 in the house. My wife is home sick, but toasty.

I'll have two going after I get home this evening. Hardy OWB stays lit from Nov into April. Run the Jotul for extended periods when it snows, gets real cold, or I'm home alot.

Fired both Fireviews last night after a couple weeks of barely burning only one. 10F for a high today with a stiff wind. House felt nice when I stopped home over lunch - toasty 75F inside. Maybe now we will actually start to use some wood. It's been so nice for wood cutting that I'm running out of places to put it!

I have a NC30 in my first floor and a Breckwell P22 (pellet) in my second floor. For the post part i run the 30 as free wood is cheaper than pellets.

BrotherBart said:
So yeah, I have two going today. Made by DeLonghi. :)

Pfft...now there's a "challenge" keeping those two running.... :lol: :lol: :coolhmm:

You guys must have big old farm houses to have to run 2 stoves when it's only ~15* out! My one stove has no trouble keeping the house cozy even at -20*.

I don't know about anyone else, but we've got a former summer cottage-as in, not meant to be lived in during the winter and insulated as such. It's actually quite small-just a bit under 700 sq ft.

NATE379 said:
You guys must have big old farm houses to have to run 2 stoves when it's only ~15* out! My one stove has no trouble keeping the house cozy even at -20*.

I could easily heat my main floor with 1 stove but the finished basement would be too cold. With 2 stoves I can get a much more even heat throughout the whole house.

In order to heat the whole house from the basement I have to burn hot or have an oversized stove which makes the basement uncomfortable.

For me my one stove in the house enough to keep me good and warm even when it gets real cold.

Todd said:
I could easily heat my main floor with 1 stove but the finished basement would be too cold. With 2 stoves I can get a much more even heat throughout the whole house.

In order to heat the whole house from the basement I have to burn hot or have an oversized stove which makes the basement uncomfortable.

Zone heating. With two zones. Sounds good to me.

The Jotul is going here in the house and the Dutchwest is doing its thing out in the shop. I get tired of feeding both stoves really quick.

Just one stove going. House is staying 72ish with 3 burns per day. Winter definitely bringing some snow/cold today to Wisconsin finally.

I had one stove for 35 years. Heated the entire house, no problem. However, with two, neither ever has to work very hard and the house is much more evenly heated.......and I have TWICE as much fun ;-P

both going ,the temps are dropping and the winds have started to move in the cold. for the first time i wore a hat when i brought in some wood this evening.

Ol' B Betty and Lil Brother both starting to roll on this evening. Snowing now but supposed to take the big dip,heavy wind ,radial temp drop tomorrow a.m. so both stoves will be operational for the weekend.

Todd said:
NATE379 said:

If you can do it, why not have 2 for zone heating

me

Hitzer 35-90 coal stove and 13NC

Wood stove on one end of the house, corn/pellet stove at the other end in the living room. Shut corn stove down tonight for cleaning, not going to start up again till morning for mrs. when she gets home. Gut at work still claims you are better off with your wood stove in basement...he doesn't live in a 170 year old wind tunnel.

We'll be 1 day behind BB. The PE is running now, and the Dixette just got home to fire up the 13. Going down to a mild 35F here tonight, then serious drops over the weekend into next week.

One thing I've noticed going into year 4, with dryer firewood and a good stock pile, is that the PE can heat the whole house until we get to about 30fish depending upon wind, etc, even with my weird house layout . Mucho happy camper !

Both stoves going here - not burning hard, just getting some momentum for tomorrows temp plunge.

Bill

Just fired up the second Super 27. The cold air finally reached central PA. Daytime highs were in the mid 20's but only a dusting of snow. The wind was howling last night and blew pretty good through the day. Use the stove in our living room to heat the main floor and the bedrooms and bathrooms on the second level of our split level house. We only fire the downstairs stove when we want heat in our family room and computer room. When we fire the downstairs stove, it warms the floor in the bathrooms which is nice. Over Christmas vacation, it was warm enough that we kept hot coals in one or both stoves and had plenty of heat with only occasional reloads. Wow, am I glad we aren't burning oil in our beast of a furnace!

Status
Not open for further replies.