How many have battery back ups?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DO you have a power supply backup to your stove?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 3, 2010
Virginia
so the power outages here aren't too often ( a couple times a winter lasting for a couple hours) . how many of yall have battery back up systems ect. and how many recommend them?

I have UPS on the stoves for short blinks in the power and a generator for longer outtages.

Ditto what tinkabranc says.... Plenty of threads on the Forum about UPS selection. UPS also gives superior transient voltage protection (way better then the typical surge protectors). One saved zapping of the stove electronics will more then pay for the UPS.

tinkabranc said:
I have UPS on the stoves for short blinks in the power and a generator for longer outtages.

Hey Tinka, may I ask what UPS model you have?

Tx,
Janice

Both stoves use APC XS1300VA- 780 watts.
Gives me approx 45 mins to get out the generator if needed.

In the almost 49 years I've been in this house,
I think we only lost power one time in the winter,
and can count on one hand the amount of times
we've lost it in the warmer months so, no UPS
on my stove.
munch.gif

I do have a generator and hope I never have to use it.

Battery backup is UPS. Long term back up is Honda inverter.

We are way out in the boonies, actually at the end of the power line and when it goes, it's gone for days. I just went and bought a 12KW standby genset about 10 years ago. Saved the bacon and the pipes many times. We have to have water for the stock all the time so a standby is a good investement.

I can tell when the power is out real easy. I look around at night...down the road and across the fields and all is black except here.

Here is battery backup system:

Battery bank 8 x 12V 250A battery connected as 2 parallel 48v strings for 48v 500A or 24kwh 12-18kwh usable.
Inverter 5KW continuous, 7KW peak for a few seconds -- motor starting, etc.
Solar Panels to charge the batteries 5.2KW rated, I see 3.7kw actual max. output.

When the batteries are charge which is most of the time the excess energy is sold back to PG&E lowering my electric bill.

=D~~ Kilted -- plugged into the sun :)

Attachments

• 19_SP_inst.jpg
    19_SP_inst.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 694
  • 28-InverterEquip.jpg
    28-InverterEquip.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 705
  • 24-BatRack.jpg
    24-BatRack.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 710
Will be getting an APC soon. The solar panel thing isn't for me, not very cost effective.

imacman said:

New on Amazon is $144. but they have one "used, like new" for $50 plus shipping. Any idea if used is OK?
Had one power outage last winter, no back up. Only lasted a couple of hours. Very rare to lose power for any length of time. My land is adjacent to a CMP power line with a sub station near by. Did loose our power for a week in "98, but that is the one and only major instance I know of in the 36 years I've lived here. More apt to loose it during the summer from those electrical storms. Only safe way to deal with those is to unplug anything not in use. I am more concerned about what happens when the power comes back on. I put surge protectors on most everything with anything digital in it. Esp. on items I can't reach the plug easily.
My stove has a good vertical rise and I have OAK, so very seldom smell any smoke when the stove runs out of fuel. I don't own a generator. The only advantage I can see to my having an UPS is to allow for time to properly shut the stove down. But, if I am not home and we loose power, even with the unit, won't it lead to the same outcome of how the stove shuts down?

I am also looking into getting a UPS for my pellet stove. This will be my second winter with one and I feel like I would be pressing my luck to not lose power for any amount of time two years in a row. At the very least I would want to have the time for a complete shut down.

If power loss were to occur, could you plug the UPS directly into a portable generator, therefore not having any disruption in power whatsoever?

I have a 1000VA Cyberpower on our stereo equipment and have been very please with it's performance. We have lots of power interruptions and this has worked very well for us. I have a bigger APC unit on the computers, but have to admit I am more fond of the Cyberpower. It has a very informative readout and less obnoxious power out alarm. Battery life has been excellent.

http://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP...telligent-1000VA/dp/B000QZ3UG0/ref=pd_sim_e_5

[quote author="save$" date="1310967145"][quote author="imacman" date="1265679427"]TrippLite OMNI 1000LCD

New on Amazon is $144. but they have one "used, like new" for $50 plus shipping. Any idea if used is OK?

If you could find out how old the unit is, that would be helpful. The battery will eventually wear out, whether it sees alot of use, or whether it doesn't.

EarlyMan

Kilted said:
Here is battery backup system:

Battery bank 8 x 12V 250A battery connected as 2 parallel 48v strings for 48v 500A or 24kwh 12-18kwh usable.
Inverter 5KW continuous, 7KW peak for a few seconds -- motor starting, etc.
Solar Panels to charge the batteries 5.2KW rated, I see 3.7kw actual max. output.

When the batteries are charge which is most of the time the excess energy is sold back to PG&E lowering my electric bill.

=D~~ Kilted -- plugged into the sun :)

That setup must have cost you $1000 lol.

Smart UPS 1000

It clicks on fairly frequently.

Power has not gone out in my hood for more than 1 hour, once or twice a year for tha last ten years. But I do have a 7800 watt generator handy. We live in an area where everything is underground so very little worries.

Mid winter wind/ice storms usually knock out the power every year. It has ranged from 2-24 hours depending on the amount of damage.

2000w Honda inverter has worked just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.