How many miles out of a 7.3 Excursion?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SolarAndWood

Minister of Fire
Feb 3, 2008
Syracuse NY
10 years old, South of the salt belt with 150K on it...how many miles should I expect out of it if I can keep it from rotting in Syracuse?

Also, how much more capable is a 7.3 Excursion than a 6.0 gas 3/4 ton Suburban?

Attachments

• Excursion.jpg
    Excursion.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 1,553
It's like asking how long a person will live. Could break leaving the dealers lot or could run another 20 years.

I don't have a problem fixing something that breaks as long as it is worth it to fix. Part of the deal of having old equipment.

The 7.3 is a fantastic motor. It should give about 16 - 19 mpg in that package. I think you'd easily get another 100k miles out of it, and likely a whole lot more. I would be most worried about the injector pump failing engine-wise as they are pretty expensive, but if it hasn't been chipped it should be OK for a long time. My BIL has the same truck in a F250 package and it has 275K and has only had to replace a water pump on the motor. It pulls 12K lbs without too much trouble...never towed with the 6.0 so I can't compare.

The 7.3 is old school smelly loud diesel....and that's not bad in my book...but isn't for everyone.

We have 2 f450s with the 7.3 at work and one has 450K the other 550K miles. If you don't use injector cleaner you can expect to change the injectors quite often. They are loud and smelly and they are not as fast as the newer diesels.

lukem said:
The 7.3 is old school smelly loud diesel....and that's not bad in my book...but isn't for everyone.

Thinking 50% better mileage and almost a ton more towing capacity might be for me. It is pretty easy to get more than 3 ton in my 3000 lb 12K dump trailer.

Our local Ford dealer is a lover of the old 7.3 diesel. He says that if the oil filters and oil are changed regular than the engine should go 500k miles. Engines that have had the custom "tunes" and have been hot rodded do not have a long lifespan. He has told me that he has heard of some with very high mileage.. The high mileage engine he regularly works on had 565k and is still going strong. Some of these engines in pickups used in hot shot service can really get a lot of miles in a hurry. My 03 only has 166k on it so I don't worry about it. David

SolarAndWood said:
10 years old, South of the salt belt with 150K on it...how many miles should I expect out of it if I can keep it from rotting in Syracuse?

Also, how much more capable is a 7.3 Excursion than a 6.0 gas 3/4 ton Suburban?

Properly maintained a 7.3 PSD will out live the rest of the rig.

I thought 3/4 ton 'burbs hadn't been made it years, no? If so the main difference will be mileage (30%-40% better with diesel) and cost of maintenance and repair (also about 30%-40% higher with diesel). If you are going to put a lot of miles on it or tow a lot I'd go with the diesel.

As already has been said, the truck will rot away and the engine will keep going. The 7.3 is a highly desirable engine.

If rust isn't taking over yet, then the rest is easy to replace part by part as needed.

Definitely would prefer this over the 6.0 gasser Suburban, but that's just me.

Lot of aftermarket support for that 7.3 if that's your thing, too.

Bigg_Redd said:
I thought 3/4 ton 'burbs hadn't been made it years, no?

Mine is a 2001 but it looks like you can buy largely the same truck today. They dropped the 6.5 diesel with the platform change in 2000 and it looks like they dropped the 8.1 gas now as well. The 6.0 is rated at 350 hp/380 lbs. I have very few complaints but have a bad habit of overloading it and wouldn't mind a little more capacity and beef in the drive train.

Danno77 said:
Definitely would prefer this over the 6.0 gasser Suburban, but that's just me.

I had a 1/2 ton with a 5.3 in it before this one. They are two very different trucks. 1/2 ton rides like a Cadillac compared to the 3/4 ton. But, then there is the same ride difference again between the 3/4 ton burb and the Excursion.

I think either will last me a long time for my relatively light use However, the Suburban is approaching the point of no return where I effectively won't be able to sell it and reset the clock with something like this. And, I imagine we are nearing the end of the run where you will be able to find relatively easy driven 7.3s that haven't been messed with.

I regularly tow 14K with my 3500 Express van with a 350 gasser and the L80E tranny. Its got the big axle too. Would a diesel do better, sure it would, but for what I have in it and cost of operation has been almost nil. Set up right you should be able to glide down the road with 10K on a 6.0. Its all in how they are set up.

I think it has 3.73s in it. Turns like 2400 at 75. I don't have any issues with power with it and the only time I see the tranny temp move is in the hills with a heavy load.

The problem is that the trailer is 3K to start. Doesn't take much to get 6500 pounds in the trailer and then I'm at the towing capacity spec. I pulled a load of stone home with it last week and took it real easy as I knew I was beyond where I should be. Made me think that a little more truck would be nice.

This is the trailer I'm talking about.

Attachments

• tandem dump.jpg
    tandem dump.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 666
SolarAndWood said:
I think it has 3.73s in it. Turns like 2400 at 75. I don't have any issues with power with it and the only time I see the tranny temp move is in the hills with a heavy load.

The problem is that the trailer is 3K to start. Doesn't take much to get 6500 pounds in the trailer and then I'm at the towing capacity spec. I pulled a load of stone home with it last week and took it real easy as I knew I was beyond where I should be. Made me think that a little more truck would be nice.

Man, 6500 for a 3/4 ton seems pretty low to me. My 1/2 ton with the 4.6 and 3.33's is rated for 8,200. I've pulled 6K (another F150 on a car hauler) with it and it was very manageable, but going much over that I would prefer to have electric brakes over the surge brakes (personal preference). I wouldn't want to pull it over the Rockies, or pull that much on a regular basis, but it was fine for shorter infrequent trips.

lukem said:
SolarAndWood said:

Man, 6500 for a 3/4 ton seems pretty low to me. My 1/2 ton with the 4.6 and 3.33's is rated for 8,200. I've pulled 6K (another F150 on a car hauler) with it and it was very manageable, but going much over that I would prefer to have electric brakes over the surge brakes (personal preference). I wouldn't want to pull it over the Rockies, or pull that much on a regular basis, but it was fine for shorter infrequent trips.

Whoops...just re-read that. Sounds like your capacity is 9500. Still lowish by today's standards. Trucks have gotten a lot better over the past 8-10 years.

9500 is the same spec as today on the 3/4 ton burb. Even the diesel Excursion is only rated at 11K. Pulling 6K around is nothing for it, double that and you know you are doing something stupid. Don't ask me how I know.

My guess is the difference between the trucks and the comparable SUV is the weight of the SUV. Looks like you lose about 1000 pounds in towing between the 2500 pickup and the 2500 burb with the same drivetrain. Big gain is going to the HD with either the 8.1 or Duramax in it.

in my opinion, the most factors for the tow ratings are from brake capabilities and sturdy suspensions. you don't need lots of power to tow 10k lbs. my 95 suburban w/200? hp towed 10k lbs of boat (had it weighed at a dump) from ny to cape cod. power was never the problem. stopping was. i upgraded to 3/4 ton brakes and it helped a LITTLE. i was always as careful as possible and maintenance on everything was at the top of the list. i never had any problems, but the truck did suffer. it did get soft but still drove strong. i consider everything i did was stupid and i got lucky. tow ratings are meant to be followed and not exceeded for good reasons. i think tow ratings are getting higher for beefier trucks , and the extra power does help.

94ranger55 said:
I thought that you could get a 8.1 with allinsonn trans ,if so that would be my choice ,a nice big block thats also proven and one of the best trannys being made !

I think you could get this in the Burb for most of the 2000s, maybe until the new style came out. The problem, and the reason I got the 6.0, is that they get horrible gas mileage. Duramax in a burb would be perfect. 7.3 in an Excursion seems like the next best choice.

I agree with your sentiments on tow ratings smoke eater...the truck may not fail when you go a pound over but there is a good reason for them.

8.1L was a beast of a motor. Drove one in a '01 3500 HD with a 14' Rack Body on it and yeah, there was an Allison in it too. 8.1L with the Allison is a bear to find these days. Truck would take 6 round bales on the body and still pull 10 more on the trailer and drive like an empty 1/2 ton. IIRC those bales were around 800lbs apiece. Truck got about 4 MPG loaded like that but hey gas was cheap back then! It was originally supposed to be a DuraMax truck but somehow the order got screwed up and we ended up with the gasser. Pushing a 9 ft plow around in the winter was a blast too! :lol:

Solar if you go for the Excursion then I'd jump under it and look close at the oil pan. They are notorious for corrosion (salt belt or not) and in a 4x4 that's not an easy change-out. The 7.3L was rock-solid reliable as an engine but unfortunately the same can't be said for the tranny if it's the same unit as the F250/350 pickups. If the motor is unmodified and not frequently towed heavy, then it's prolly in good shape. It's something to keep in mind since it sounds like you'll be playing in the 10,000lb+ class. The 7.3L responded quite nicely to electronic "enhancements" and many found the transmission's weak point quickly that way. If you really want to play in that weight class then I'd be looking for a 1 ton P/U (or bigger).

Thanks for the heads up on the oil pan. The other thing at play is the CDL rules and limits on your typical auto policy in NY. I got into the 3/4 ton/dump trailer game because my insurance company wouldn't let me put the 25999 International single axle dump on the policy even though it was legal to drive without a CDL. So, they won't let me go over 14K GVWR with truck or trailer. And, as soon as you go over 14K on the truck, you can't go over 10K on the trailer without a CDL. I would consider a 2500HD Duramax but I can buy two very nice condition burbs or Excursions for the price of a decent built out 4 door truck.

The other option here is to drive the burb into the ground with the single axle dump trailer and stick with the smaller tractor. Far from the end of the world, but considering my options before it is too late to sell the burb.

+ 1 on the oil pan. i looked into these up until recently. i then decided to get away from the used trucks and go new. i'm 45, never had new, and have a bad back. i'm tired of working on and fixing my vehicles. i was better off with a pickup anyway for my needs. 0% was nice, too.

I think the financial incentives to buy a used SUV are a lot higher than a used pickup. I figure they get used more like cars than trucks and people are more likely to trade them in because they want a new one than they are used up. The burb is a perfect example. Built out nice with leather, 70K miles, just had the 60K maintenance done by the dealer, never even had a drawbar in the receiver and the seats other than the driver seat didn't look like they were ever used. I've put a 100K on the burb and have very few complaints. So, to me the utility of that $11K truck is the same as the new $50K truck and they both are in similar condition in Syracuse after a few years of my use either way. I haven't found that to be true for used pickups especially when looking for a 4 door with leather.

It sounds like I am going to get 100s of thousands of miles out of a 7.3 Excursion as long as I find one that was driven as a car and hasn't been modified. Also sounds like there is little downside to one over what I've got? Better mileage, better towing, tougher drivetrain? Any other gotchas other than the oil pan, one that has been modified or used hard and put away wet?

I've got a 8 bolt burb with the 6.0, actually my wifes. I also have a couple of 7.3's. With diesel being 70 cents more than gas and those 18 quart oil changes, has changed my perspective some. The burb is no slouch, basically a good 3/4 ton puckup with seats instead of a bed. Tows a decent sized track skid steer with no complaints. As master mech said, those trannys are pretty much just for load carying only. After a bunch of rebuilds, I no longer tow with my F350 although I did not abuse it but I deffinetly overloaded it. (I regularly towed a GN trlr with a 40' 16k manlift on it) Enter my F450 with a stick. I would install a tranny temp guage and keep an eye on it, along with a synthetic tranny juice, I found that I would run 60 deg. of more cooler with Amsoil! The 7.3 is as others said, a great, great motor, not overly computerized and no crazy smog crap like their new counterparts have, and in a pinch, it will gladly run on heating oil. My 02 (350) has about 175k miles and 6500hrs on the clock, and runs like a top.

Interesting comparison from someone who has both 711.

Status
Not open for further replies.