how many splits in a cord?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fmer55

Nov 14, 2009
bay shore, ny
was curious, ideas of how many splits in a cord? let” say 16”-20” average, the type any guy on long island drops. found a guy selling 300 splits for $100, on a pallet, shrinkwrapped, delivered and put right in the garage with a hand truck. he claims it is a half cord, i suspect it is just shy of a 1/3. i know it expensive, but i am a bit lazy while i wait for the 2 cords i just bought to season. plan on using them next year.

It's best to measure it. Half cord should be 64 cubic ft or 4x4x4.

depends on how big the splits are. Id ask him what the size of the cube was and do some math. 4x4x4 is 64 cubic feet. 4x4x8 is 128 cubic feet.

750 +- a few. I never really counted. Just like to
fill up my shed every time.

I would prefer to measure by weight and density.
The species provides the density and the state of
dryness the additional weight.

My splits are roughly 14-16" in length. I have a rack that if all my splits were 16" it would hold 1/4 cord so with my splits being a bit on the short side I think it is safe to assume that the numbers below are actually too low - i.e. for my splits there are actually more per cord than the estimates below show. Now with that said here are some numbers to chew on:

Date - Rack Count - Splits/Cord
16 Oct - 200 - 800
9 Nov - 190 - 760
12 Dec - 181 - 724
24 Dec - 203 - 812
2 Jan - 200 - 800
10 Jan - 195 - 780

Overall Average Splits/cord so far this year is 779.

What is interesting to me is how little it has varies despite the fact that this wood came from so many different sources. I expect it will change when it is wood I am processing now as I'm splitting larger pieces, but time will tell -ask me again next year.

thanks for that, is about what i figured, now ay it is a half cord though, it is on approx a 3x3xpallet 6' high. which would actually come out to 42% of a cord.

Depends, I have found there are more splits in the first half of wood splitting season than the last half.

deck2 said:
Hey, your kidding right, you count your splits!! Wait till NY State decides to make wood sellers sell wood by the split! :)

Why not count splits? This way when someone asks "how many splits in a cord" I can give an answer that means something factual at least in my back yard...

Slow1 said:
My splits are roughly 14-16" in length. I have a rack that if all my splits were 16" it would hold 1/4 cord so with my splits being a bit on the short side I think it is safe to assume that the numbers below are actually too low - i.e. for my splits there are actually more per cord than the estimates below show. Now with that said here are some numbers to chew on:

Date - Rack Count - Splits/Cord
16 Oct - 200 - 800
9 Nov - 190 - 760
12 Dec - 181 - 724
24 Dec - 203 - 812
2 Jan - 200 - 800
10 Jan - 195 - 780

Overall Average Splits/cord so far this year is 779.

What is interesting to me is how little it has varies despite the fact that this wood came from so many different sources. I expect it will change when it is wood I am processing now as I'm splitting larger pieces, but time will tell -ask me again next year.

I like it! Was wondering th same thing about a pallet I have stacked criscross that totals 290 spitts that average 15.5" length. I had guessed I needed four but looks like I only need three to make a cord. 25% less work.... :coolsmile:

very nice reply slow1, and i for one am glad you count your splits.............i often have thought about keeping a journal, i do keep track daily of how many splits and if i had saved them all i would nknow how many splits as i have just finished off a cord for the year

Glad folks found it helpful. Of course you are encouraging me to continue in my anal ways you know....

unfortunately i do know......i just busted out a spreadsheet to track what i burn per day and will keep track of how much is in a cord when i bust into the new wood

i opened the thread twice and this was posted on the other one....why did i open it twice? you may ask, well, of course, because i am an idiot

Let’s see: Assume a split is 4"x4"x16”. That’s 256 cu in per split (that seems high to me, can someone check my math?).

A cord is 128 cu ft, which is 12x12x12x128= 221,184 cu in per cord.

So, 221,184 / 256 = 864 splits per cord, more or less.

Is there a prize?

fm said:
i opened the thread twice and this was posted on the other one....why did i open it twice? you may ask, well, of course, because i am an idiot

Let’s see: Assume a split is 4"x4"x16”. That’s 256 cu in per split (that seems high to me, can someone check my math?).

Is there a prize?

Well, those NY splits must stack quite nice being all squared up eh? heh... Around here they come in all sorts of odd shapes and sizes - some are rather large and some hardly larger than kindling...

In all seriousness that isn't a bad estimate - I suppose you could work backwards from my 779 average splits/cord and figure out the average size of mine (including the air gaps between) but I'll leave that to those who like to do the match.

Another data point... last year my average at the end of the year was 606 splits/cord. I think that lower number came primarily from the fact that the 3 cords I bought were not in fact full cords afterall... I method of measuring was to count all splits burned and then unburned at the end of the season so you know where that leaves me eh? (I didn't have this 1/4 cord rack at that time).

fm said:
unfortunately i do know......i just busted out a spreadsheet to track what i burn per day and will keep track of how much is in a cord when i bust into the new wood

Ok - so it starts there... then I added a column to put in the degree days for that day as well as the cost (based on average cost/split) of the fuel. That way it then calculates my cost/HDD so I know if I"m burning more or less relative to my own 'normal.' It also gives me a comparison to my oil burn rate (calculated the same way both in the past and present). Then there is the page with electric use, and water use (102.1 gallons/day last billing cycle isn't too bad eh?) then... oh yeah, it can get worse. Glad I have a patient wife. She even wrote down the house temperatures (7 locations) one morning when I slept in so I wouldn't have a hole in my data set - now THAT's love isn't it?

fm said:

Is there a prize?

Whoa, hold on here.. Shouldn't there be some attibution. No kudos?

the truth is archie, i tried to quote you but could not figure out how to get it here, i then merely cut and pasted. The omission of the "kudos" was purely accidental.

So let it be heard......Archie is a geek....., uh , i mean Archie is the mathematical genius who was in fact able to break the age ole riddle.....

ready?.....ready?.........big golf clap for archie

I will tell you, when I saw this topic come up I said you have to be kidding me. Who in the name that is that holy will count there splits?

Well, a few hours later we have all kinds of answers.

Well, in one case that I am anal, is perfectly normal for someone else!! WHAT A COUNTRY!!!!

KC

iskiatomic said:
I will tell you, when I saw this topic come up I said you have to be kidding me. Who in the name that is that holy will count there splits?

Well, a few hours later we have all kinds of answers.

Well, in one case that I am anal, is perfectly normal for someone else!! WHAT A COUNTRY!!!!

KC

wouldn't you hope/ think that there is a wood distributor who has counted splits at least once?

ok here we go.........just stacked a full cord in the garage today. measured perfectly, or as perfectly as can be measured adn i have started a spread sheet which will record every split thrown into the dragon!

You mean you didn't count as you stacked? What a missed opportunity! :cheese:

Count whatever you want. It's meaningless, of course. How many toothpicks in a cord? How many 3" rounds in a cord? Every cord of anything will have a different number of splits in it. I'm sure y'all realize this, and are just havin' fun here. Rick

tried to count as i stacked but being old and out of shape, it was all i could od to stack it all at once, lost count and then patience...............give me a couple weeks.

and of course every cord will be different but just curious as to a guideline, and the ability to judge when people are selling a count as oppossed to 128 cubic feet. would love to be a scounger but dont have the time nor the equipment so i would like to at least hace a benchmark to go by.

Status
Not open for further replies.