How mild has this winter been?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Here's a picture from March 17, 2007.
more67parts013.jpg

I think it was about a foot of heavy, wet stuff. The only time I had to pay somebody to plow my driveway in 8 years.
March 17, 2012
0317121554.jpg

It's hard to see in this picture, but the truck is now covered with the crap that drops out of the Maple tree, usually, In April. It was just over 70 in the afternoon.

Reactions: aroth
Looks like your grass is starting to turn green.

Yup. Green grass, blooming flowers, and last year's Swiss Chard is growing in the garden again! forecast to be 77 in NYC on Thursday!

we are gonna pay for this early warm up. Sure, we all love the warm weather. But when all the flowers, fruit trees, and leaves come out on these plants A MONTH AHEAD OF NORMAL and we have plenty of time for a deep freeze yet to happen, it's bad news all around. It's not if, but rather when are we going to get a freeze. Just another excuse for them to raise the price of food because it's gonna be hard on the crops...

True Scott, going to screw up the pollination process too. Maybe I should expnad my veggie garden.
On a positive note though, the low humidity with light breezes and sunshine are drying out my wood stacks!

I had to mow yesterday!!! That ain't right...

We are enjoying 85 degrees today! Two more warm days and then a cool down but still above normal temps forecast. I agree that it does not look good for the fruit this season but time will tell. For sure we are still normally below freezing at night this time of the year. Black flies that usually come out the last week of April; buttercups in the woods; an April event, etc.

Flatbed, it has been a very mild winter. Yesterday was 82 in Beacon and they are calling for upper 80s for Thursday. Nice Ford by the way.

Just noticed today that all the maples and lilacs have buds popping.
Below freezing temps forecast starting this weekend, but still about 10 above normal.
I KNEW I'd get to make more fire!!

Don't put the long johns away either Dave.

Only used less than half a bag of sunflower seeds for the feeder this winter. I do like a cool spring to get outside work caught up without breaking a sweat.

Yep, 83 yesterday, 63 today. Put in a new mailbox post yesterday and did some garden tilling. Nice days to be outside, so today I unloaded the trailer full of Maple into a stack in the back and continued the garden tilling.
I definitely broke a sweat today while tilling.

Only used less than half a bag of sunflower seeds for the feeder this winter. I do like a cool spring to get outside work caught up without breaking a sweat.

Jon, you'd be amazed if you saw our feed bill... My wife loves to give those birds plenty to eat.

I don't know how many huge bags of sunflower seeds and assorted birdseed I have gone through . . . some to the squirrels, some to the turkeys, but most to the song birds.

I actually did some mowing on Wednesday. Mostly because I never did the last mowing in the fall because there was a foot of snow in October. Go figure!

I'm due for a second mowing pretty soon.

Getting volunteer sunflowers and pumpkins germinating in the garden. Usually that doesn't happen until May.

Sit'n on 55 apple trees here, waiting too see what happens, buds are already out. Mother nature has the ball now. Had a bumper crop last year as I pruned about half my trees, just got done with the other half a month ago.

Good luck on those Charly. Some of our apple blossoms are opening but most have not opened yet. The cold air that settled in slowed them down a bit. Looks like the peaches are okay so that is a relief.

Status
Not open for further replies.